cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 to 320 SA renewal dropping packets

trevor.stuart
Level 1
Level 1

I have gateway to gateway VPN between an RV340 and RV320. 

Inside this tunnel is a unicast video stream. It's stable and works most of the time without issue. HOWEVER once an hour enough packets get dropped that the stream goes down. it's only about 20 seconds for the stream to re-establish but this is rather bothersome!

The VPN tunnel is backup VERY quick, but the video stream takes longer because of the lost packets.

The time is in line with the Phase 2 SA lifetime. I can of course just increase this value on both ends, to reduce the number of times it happens. But there must be a way to have the SA's renew without dropping any packets? Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

2 Replies 2

trevor.stuart
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyone that could assist? This stream is rather critical, but is getting interupted when this happens.

I'm also seeing these errors in the logs, but am not finding them when searching my google-ator.

2020-04-17T18:58:35-06:00 <error>kernel: [425920.848191] ipsec_xfrm2nlkey: protocol 108 not supported

2020-04-17T18:58:35-06:00 <error>kernel: [425920.878924] ipsec_xfrm2nlkey: protocol 108 not supported

MAYBE if I eliminate this error it will resolve the drops. 

@cisco @ciscosupport 

Protocol 108 is IPComp. Do you have Payload compression on for any of your IPSEC VPN connections. I'm not sure that the RV Series routers actually support it. I explicitly turned it off and the message went away.