cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Should I Upgrade to LMS 2.5?

k-kriegel
Level 1
Level 1

I am running LMS 2.2 on Windows 2000 Server monitoring less than 40 routers and less than 200 switches. There have been various issues over the years - some resolved and working, and others not resolved. In order to get "up-to-date" with the application, I have ordered the LMS 2.5.

Looking at many of the posts, I am not so sure that was a good idea. What I am looking for with this post is a feel for doing the upgrade.

1. Should I uninstall 2.2 and start from scratch?

2. Are there benefits of going from 2.2 to 2.5?

3. Is the 2.5 version really buggy?

4. Are most of the bugs related to larger networks?

5. Should I stay at 2.2 and leave well enough alone?

Comments, opinions and suggestions are welcome.

3 Replies 3

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

LMS 2.5.1 is more current version, if you want to go with that. I'd suggest a fresh install on a separate server than doing an upgrade on the same server. Then test it out first for any issues in a lab env before deciding to move it to production.

Hello

After the full Installation You should install the December Patch:

http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/cw2000/lan-planner.shtml

All The best

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

Depending on the amount of work you have done in the configuration.

Ciscoworks backup doesn't make a difference between data and config.

If you haven't configured too much I would go for an export of the DCR, importing this on another server with LMS 2.5.1

This means of course that you loose config history, custom reports, automated actions, groups etc.

So it all depends on how much time has gone into that.

For some situations with much configuration, restoring a backup on another server is more appropriate, but you may also copy the problems from the old server that way.

But I would upgrade. The interface is better, more coherent so are the applications

Good luck,

Michel