cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Should I use the Orange-LiveBox or Catalyst3560CX to setup my network?

Bajengua
Level 1
Level 1

Good evening 

I am currently working on a project and came to a point where i need to setup a new external-network within the company.

The new network and company network are two separate network.

My needs are as follows:

I have 100 devices that require internet to function.

Some devices can be connected using DHCP, and some using Static IP.

To make it simpler: Let's say I need to ping each device. Therefore, I need each device to have a static IP addr. 

For those using DHCP, i will simply use DHCP Fixed IP addr using MAC Reservation

For those using Static IP, i will simply ask:

• My IT to give me a pool for static ip addr assignments.
  • Ask the constructor of the device (before sending it) to write in the device's register the IP addr i will provide him.

Here are some important informations:

I don't have access (physical nor online) to the Orange-LiveBox. In fact, it is in a completely different building. I only have an ethernet port on the wall where I can connect my CISCO-Catalyst 3560-CX Series (The 100 devices will be connected to the siwtchs).

More details in question section

Questions part

Question 1:

The IT team provided me a specific pool. it was something like

• For DHCP: 192.168.1.1 to 150 
  • Static Ip addr: 192.168.1.151 to 250

Note that the configuration was set on the LiveBox and not on the switch. 

I later on asked for the Lease time regarding those in DHCP, they said that the Livebox we have has a Lease of 24h et cannot be modified .... 

I later on asked for online-access to the Orange-LiveBox, I would for example put all my devices on DHCP Fixed IP addr using MAC reservation, just because it is so easy to do. But of course, like any big size company, access was not granted which is stupid since this new network has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the company network ... 

I later on asked them if they could do the reservation for me but they don't want to because "it is too much work for them"

Some could think of using a DNS server, but honestly, i have no idea on how to do it plus i don't have access to the liveBox... So i guess the IT team has to do it. What do you think ?

Question 2: 

I started learning Switch configuration and it is going well. but I am so confused !

Why the IT team configured the Box and not the CISCO swtich? They could do all what they did, but on the switch.. Am I wrong ?

Question 3: 

In case you tell me that I can just configure the whole network using the CISCO Switch only

1. Should i ask the IT Team to remove the configuration they did on the LiveBox? the DHCP & static pool they provided me
  2. How should the switch be connected to the Orange-Livebox? DHCP or Static or Doesn'tMatter ?

I appreciate your help and your time guys, really ... 

It is worth to mention that I am more of an electronic engineer who works as a software Engineer with very few networking knowledge.

4 Replies 4

Hi

It is not clear to me why they want to use Livebox. Maybe they have some reason for that. Of course you can do all that on the switch only. I didn´t see anything that could be done on the switch. But I am wondering what is inside this Livebox. Maybe it allows then to automate things or get control of something they want, maybe the are collecting data and creating some stats dashboard, I dont know.

Switch configuration for a software guy is very simple and you have plenty of help on the internet and here on this forum.

I not going to specific of your question but I am here to help you in how to do, if you need it.

Hi Flavio, thanks for the reply

The livebox is a home router, like any of the router we find at home. They access it using 192.168.1.1 etc... Exactly like the one we have at home. 

Got it. Orange-LiveBox is a ADSL router.   Make sense. Actually, on this case, not everything you can do with the switch. This Orange-LiveBox. as a router is has features like NAT, advanced routing protocols, maybe firewall, etc.

On this case, you just need to connect your switch in one ethernet port of Orange-LiveBox. and keep all your interface in the same vlan. Probably they already are on vlan 1, and that´s OK. You can keep them all in vlan 1.

the switch is connected to the Orange-LiveBox thourgh one ethernet port.

The switch has already the default config Vlan 1 i guess

The question is: The IT Team configured the pool on the Orange-LiveBox. Should i ask them to reset the Livebox before I start configuring the Switch?

How should the Switch be connected to the Orange-LiveBox? with DHCP ? Static IP ? and why please ?