Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Install using Director not on DHCP path

max.caines_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

To do zero-touch switch configuration we need to be able to run a post-install script against each switch, to set the VTP and SDM configuration. The core 6509 which is the L3 gateway for VLAN 1 doesn't support post-install scripts, as it's running 15.1(2). However, we have a pair of 4500X switches running 3.0.6E, which does support scripting. I think I've read somewhere that you can set up a Director out of the DHCP data path from the switches, as long as the DHCP server sends the right options so the client switch can find it. However, I'd like to know if anyone has tried that and whether there are any gotchas before doing it myself. Can anyone comment?

Thanks

Max Caines, University of Wolverhampton

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post-install script is supported with IOS 15.2(2)E.  

Read this:  How to use Zero-Touch SmartInstall

Yes, I was aware of that. But as far as I know 15.2 is not available for the SUP-2T, so it doesn't help

Regards

Max

Max, 

What I am about to tell you will send you chills ... 

You DO NOT want to load 15.2(2)E or 3.6.0E on any of your important core/distro switches.  If you have a switch (that supports ZeroTouch SmartInstall) that runs 15.2(2)E, that's fine. 

15.2(2)E for Catalyst 2960S/X/XR, 3560E/X/C, 3750E/X, is EXTREMELY UNSTABLE.  We tested 15.2(2)E on a 3560CG.  In four hours, we found fourbugs, Tracebacks and crashes.  By the time our "count" hit eight (8), we terminated all testing. 

The only switch we have in our network running 15.2(2)E is on our two ZeroTouch SmartInstall switches (two 3750X) and nowhere else.

Hi Leo

We have 3.6.0E on a pair of 4500X switches in one building. They've been running it for about a month without any problems, and we need it to support active Infiniband links. I guess we've just been lucky. After your warning though I wouldn't put it on anything else.

Unfortunately it looks like post-install scripting is only supported if the client is running one of these releases, as well as the Director. When I set up a 3560v2 running 12.2(55) it simply omitted the post-install script step. I'm trying to get confirmation of that idea (there's nothing in the documentation either way), but that's how it looks

Thanks

Max

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: