cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Licensing requirements with Stackwise-virtual devices

CraigMercer1401
Level 1
Level 1

When registering devices on the Smart Account for licencing, how do you license all members in a stackwise-virtual stack?

I have two C9500-24Y4C devices currently in my network, they are connected in a stackwise-virtual link. I have registered the master device on the smart account and it has consumed 1 x C9500 24Y4C NW Advantage Licence. But it hasn't consumed a second licence for the second member in the stack.

It also hasn't registered the device on the smart account. 
Is there another command I need to enter to register the second device?

Regards,

Craig

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have registered standalone kit before i join them to SVL.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

The switches are currently in production, and cannot be removed from their stacking configuration. Is there a way to register both of them once they are stacked?

davide.fichera
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Craig, how did you solve the issue?

Hello,

good question, and hard to find accurate instructions. I have come across the thread below, it appears that whether a switch is a stack member or not, you still have to generate a token for each switch...

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/how-to-activate-sl-on-stacking-catalyst9k/td-p/4058184

Do you have the same use case of SVL ? when you need to build you need any way advanced License - so I am sure you register before you make SVL, if the expiry date comes end the SVL automatically updates the License using a smart License.

BB

therouterslayer
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure what the right answer is but I needed to break my stack on an  SVL/9500 pair.  Then issue the command #license smart reservation request universal.  This command was issued on the master switch with the intact SVL and the request code that was generated was for the master 9500 switch itself only *not the stack.  I broke the stack to create both individual request codes.  Wish I found a better way.

I do not see any better option that is the basic requirement before you make SVL.

BB