Helpful
Replies

SNMP Envmon Trap Question

chrisayres
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

This is a bit of a specific question but I will give it a go anyway

When should  router send a   ciscoEnvMonFanStatusChangeNotif  trap.

I have found a couple of routers that are continually reporting the below in the log

"Aug 16 08:45:36: %ENVMON-4-ONE_FAN_LOW_RPM: Warning: Fan 4 is running at low RPM.  Rotation speed is now high for all other fans.  Fan Tray replacement is recommended."

But I don't think either of them has sent a trap for this

Should the router send a trap at all (I think it should)

If so should it just once when the condition first occurs or should it send a trap each time it logs this condition to the log.

I have looked back in our SNMP mgmt system and can find no record of this trap being received.

Both routers are 2911 running  Version 15.2(4)M1

rgds

1 Reply 1

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This Trap is generated when the state of the Fan changes from one state to other. This Trap ciscoEnvMonFanStatusChangeNotif is generated with two trap components  :

a. ciscoEnvMonFanStatusDescr:

Textual description of the fan being instrumented. This description is a short textual label, suitable as a human-sensible identification for the rest of the information in the entry

b. ciscoEnvMonFanState

The current state of the fan being instrumented.

So Trap ciscoEnvMonFanStatusChangeNotif  is sent if there is change in the state of a device being monitored

by ciscoEnvMonFanState.

Following can be the states of the monitored entity:

1:normal

2:warning

3:critical

4:shutdown

5:notPresent

6:notFunctioning

I think along with the trap the syslog message is also indicating something wrong with the Fan of your devices. You should check the output of # show environment all to check Fan status.

A mal-functioning fan can also affect other hardwares by overheating, like Power supply etc and may eventually result in the entire device shutdown.

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **