Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp for shutting down the device

handoko.wiyanto
Level 1
Level 1

dear all,

is there any snmp oid for shutting down the device. i oredi browse, but only find to reload the device, not shutting down.

what i'm going to do is, if the electricity power not stable, or the heat is increasing, i want to shut down the device.

or maybe anyone have any idea?

thanks,

5 Replies 5

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

I'm not aware of any network device that can be shutdown. Servers, appliances, etc can be shutdown but usualy only in an interactive way.

Network devices go on until they die or until the power goes down.

Cheers,

Michel

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Some devices have built-in temperature sensors that will cause the device to shutdown if the temperature gets too high. However, if you want to control the power to a device, you should look into managed power strips. There are vendors that provide UPSes and power strips that can be accessed remotely via telnet or SNMP and allow you to recycle or even shutdown power to an outlet.

thanks clarke,

btw which cisco routers and swhitches have this internal built in sensors about temperature? just heard about this :).

thanks

Quite a few devices. For example, Cat6500, Cat4500, ESR, GSR, 7500, etc. If you're interested in any device in particular, you can search Cisco.com for its environmental properties.

thanks,

definitly i will search that :)