cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP monitor of cieIfCarrierTransitionCount

ciscomrtn
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to monitor the Carrier Transitions on my data T1's via SNMP.  I'm trying to figure out the value I'm getting back when I query the device.  If I do a "sh int Serial0/0/1:0" the count of carrier transitions is 30.  But when I use SNMP to get the info it comes back with a value of 425.  I've tried it on another router and had the same problem where the values don't align.  

When does the SNMP counter get reset?  I know if I do a "clear counters" it clears the Carrier Transition count on the Serial ports when you run the "sh int" command.  Is the SNMP counter (cieIfCarrierTransitionCount OID:.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.276.1.1.2.1.4) a continuous counter for the life of the port or is it only reset on hard soft/hard resets?

1 Reply 1

Ashok Kumar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

You need restart the device, to reset the SNMP counter.

I know it sounds the last-resort of action, but actually that's what it it.

- Ashok

******************************************************************************************************

Please rate the post or mark as correct answer as it will help others looking for similar information

******************************************************************************************************