Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP, Netflow, Syslog help

davids
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an assignment that I have no idea where to start. I'm not sure if the teacher is throwing additional information at us to throw us off, but here's the scenario: 5 departments, in a 2 story building that needs to have SNMP, Netflow, and syslog integrated. The network is using IPv4 and the assignment says new Ip addresses may need to be allocated. I understand how the three services work, but without being provided any IPs to begin with is where I'm stumped. Aside from that, I'm not understanding what the importance of knowing the two story building and the part about IPv4. Aren't these services compatible on both IPv4 and IPv6?

2 Replies 2

sagar.mulatkar
Level 1
Level 1

snmp and netflow both are configure in router how to do it

craig.cordts
Level 1
Level 1

Hey David-

- SNMP is configured and used by assigning a version and community string (basically a password) on a particular device. Any decent router, switch or firewall should support it. You then use an application to query the device, say every 60 seconds, to obtain device statistics ie Interface bandwidth in use, CPU load etc.

Over time SNMP will build usage and status trends that you can use to monitor how various network devices are performing. 

A good SNMP monitor tool is called PRTG and is free for up to 100 sensors

- Netflow is a different animal. Netfow exports flow information to an external collector.  Netflow will then give you flow information like "IP Address X used 2 megabits of HTTP traffic from IP address Y in the last 5 minutes"

PRTG can also be used a netflow collector. 

- Syslog is a service that network devices use to send syslog messages to an external syslog server. Messages you will see are things like "User X logged in from IP address X" or "Interface Y is down". You can configure  level (from 1 to 7) of messages you wish to have logged to the syslog server. 

A good, simple little server to check out is Kiwi Syslog Server.

Good luck with your project.

Craig