cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp query for TenGigE data counters C4510R+E?

jukka.kahkonen
Level 1
Level 1

Dear community. With the risk of sounding like an idiot I turn to you:

I'm having slight challenges reading the data counters for a ten gigabit Ethernet interfaces on our C4510R+E w/sup8 with this IOS:

bootflash:/cat4500es8-universalk9.SPA.03.03.00.XO.151-1.XO.bin

running snmpwalk on ifindex reveals all indices properly, i.e:

IF-MIB::ifName.1 = STRING: Fa1

IF-MIB::ifName.2 = STRING: Gi1/1

IF-MIB::ifName.3 = STRING: Gi1/2

IF-MIB::ifName.4 = STRING: Gi1/3

…etc…

IF-MIB::ifName.259 = STRING: VLAN-601

IF-MIB::ifName.260 = STRING: VLAN-876

IF-MIB::ifName.261 = STRING: Te5/1--Uncontrolled

IF-MIB::ifName.262 = STRING: Te5/1--Controlled

...etc...

but when trying to see the octet counts from for example ifindex 261 or 262 I get no results at all:

...etc...

IF-MIB::ifHCInOctets.230 = Counter64: 0

IF-MIB::ifHCInOctets.231 = Counter64: 0

NOTE: no ifIndex 261 or 262

IF-MIB::ifHCInOctets.293 = Counter64: 0

IF-MIB::ifHCInOctets.294 = Counter64: 0

...etc...

All other physical interfaces show their values just fine - just not the TenGigE's.

so, dear community: is this a problem, feature or something that can be configured to work differently? or is it just me :-) googling something like "snmp tengigabitethernet counters" brings up mostly problems with the max data rate but in my case the snmp values do not seem to exist at all.

Thanks in advance,

JukkaK

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It may be helpful to see the entire output/snmpwalk for ifTable and ifXTable for this device to see if all the data is missing for these indexes/TE interfaces.

Many older IOS has some issues where the details for a perticular linecards and its associated interfaces were missing from Switch.

Many times it worked after reseat of Linecard or Reboot of the entire device. As these are not the easy and not the first choice for many, lets check the outputs first.

Also from the switch, please share output for device for show snmp mib ifmib ifindex command.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE Them.**

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It may be helpful to see the entire output/snmpwalk for ifTable and ifXTable for this device to see if all the data is missing for these indexes/TE interfaces.

Many older IOS has some issues where the details for a perticular linecards and its associated interfaces were missing from Switch.

Many times it worked after reseat of Linecard or Reboot of the entire device. As these are not the easy and not the first choice for many, lets check the outputs first.

Also from the switch, please share output for device for show snmp mib ifmib ifindex command.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE Them.**

Thank you Vinod. You pointed out the obvious part which I just didn't see.

I'm not supposed to monitor those interfaces with "--(Un)controlled" written next to them. There is proper interface for them instead.

Note to self - when replacing GigE interfaces with TenGigE and then monitoring them with Cacti, remember to reapply suggested interface names to replace old Gi5/1 graph titles with Te5/1. When debugging, I didn't check all the 300+ interfaces of snmpwalk output and assumed that I was looking at the right thing when the last interfaces of the ifIndex snmpwalk output referred to TenGigE ports.

thanks once again Vinod!

"feeling like an idiot" accomplished. over and out.

JukkaK

Jukka,

Glad to know that you figured out the problem as well as shared the details for other community members to benefit.

Thanks for your contribution.

-Vinod

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: