cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp v3 and views?

mattgioia
Level 1
Level 1

We're playing around with moving towards snmpv3 and trying some things out with it on our test network. After much searching and reading on the subject I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around the whole view thing.

To my understanding the views are built in pointers to specific points on the mib tree, and the whole user/password thing uses these references as a means for permissions.

I was wanting to enable write access for our LMS 2.5 box to test some config pushes and whatnot, but I cannot find any place which lists these views. I was only able to get it working by using the same view that is listed for the read view. While this is adequate for now, I would like to get a better grasp on whats going on and what granularity is available as far as these views go.

1 Reply 1

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

Simple Network Management Protocol Version 3 (SNMPv3) is an interoperable standards-based protocol for network management. SNMPv3 provides secure access to devices by a combination of authenticating and encrypting packets over the network. The security features provided in SNMPv3 are:

Message integrity---Ensuring that a packet has not been tampered with in-transit.

Authentication---Determining the message is from a valid source.

Encryption---Scrambling the contents of a packet prevent it from being seen by an unauthorized source.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120t/120t3/snmp3.htm

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card