Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Software distribution via Prime Infrastructure 3.5

Hello community,

I am trying to distribute new software to our infrastructure. Even though I have selected a large number of routers to deploy the image, the software download proceeds in bulks of 5. Is there any way to change this value, so that Prime can distribute the file to a larger number of nodes simultaneously?

We are running Prime Infrastructure 3.5.

Thank you in advance,

Katerina

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally, I don't recommend PI or DNAC to distribute firmware.

Hello Leo,

Can you please elaborate on your answer? We are using PI as a simple tftp server. What other tool do you recommend for bulk distribution of software images? Some form of network automation?

Katerina

1. One can use a cheap Raspberry Pi as a TFTP server;
2. I don't recommend automation to distribute images. Why? Because there are limits to what these automation can/can't do. Will the automation detect if the distribution got corrupted? How about if the distribution fails? What if the flash drive is full?
I've been doing "software distribution" for years without "automation". There are so many times "automation" has left the switch/router without any valid firmware. Willing to take that risk? It's a long drive, y'know.

I use PI as a software repository. Since one of its functions is software deployment, I chose to use it. It worked without any problems (simple tftp transfer). I have verified the md5 hash via another job, just to be on the safe side, but I don't see the harm in using it as a simple TFTP server for software distribution, taking into consideration that Cisco has included this functionality in this product.

We do not have a massive network (software was distributed to 100 sites), so maybe for a larger scale it could have issues.

For our case it worked perfectly.

I still don't understand how the parallel distribution is done, because I noticed that it was made in bulks of 5. Is there a way to change this value?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: