Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning tree protocols path

daniel4579329
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi 

In stp i know that when you send to pc that connect to the root bridge, the path will be based on the root port, but when i send packet to a pc that connect to a non root bridge what will the path will be 

Thanks for the help (:

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure if I understand correctly - but if the device connected to non-root bridge port - in the somewhere in the network there is a root port it look for to forward path.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/spanning-tree-protocol/5234-5.html

https://www.certificationkits.com/cisco-certification/ccna-articles/cisco-ccna-switching/cisco-ccna-spanning-tree-protocolroot-bridge-rootdesignatedblocked-ports/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Martin L
VIP
VIP

STP role is to find the redundant links and shut them down (shut port or put it in standby); Data flow will use ports that are forwarding like root ports and designated ports but will not use any blocking or alternative ports.   Data traffic will figure out the shortest path to destination based on MAC Add table. 

Depending on topology and link costs (bandwidth), traffic may flow via Root switch or not.  In triangle topo with 3 switches where Top Sw is Root and all settings are default, 2 links to Root sw will be forwarding but bottom link will be blocking and all traffic will go via Root sw. 

However, in topo with 4 switches connected in a square form, traffic may not go via Root; it will find the best/shortest route to destination.

Open Packet tracer and practice

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Thank for the rely

After I build the topology can i send from PC 1 to PC 2 packet and see her path (in packet tracer) ?

Yes, in PT simulation mode; PT has 2 modes, real time and sim mode.   Ping in real time first; then switch to sim mode and ping again; you will see packets flow; you can open a packet to see OSI model and notes,  when you  see  X, this means packet failed;  you can even go backwards.

build triangle and square topo, and share it with us. thanks