cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static Route on Nexus 5K

dlynch
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to enter the the following command on the Nexus 5K switch and it's not working.

Ip route 192.168.8.0/24 192.168.9.10

I want to setup so the 192.168.8.0/24 next hop is 192.168.9.10 so that traffic goes to another switch instead of going the default route that is setup on that switch.  Could someone assist on getting the correct command to make this happen?
6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

that is the correct command to use in nexus, make sure below meet the requirement. (post show run to look if not working ?)

Prerequisites for Static Routing

Static routing has the following prerequisites:

• If the next-hop address for a static route is unreachable, the static route is not added to the unicast routing table.

Guidelines and Limitations for Static Routing

Static routing has the following configuration guidelines and limitations:

• You can specify an interface as the next-hop address for a static route only for point-to-point interfaces such as generic routing encapsulation (GRE) tunnels.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

dlynch
Level 1
Level 1

When I do a show run, I see the static route added.  When I do a show ip route I don't see the static route added but I still see the default route of 0.0.0.0/0 192.168.7.10.  Do I need to do anything different to add it there also?  192.168.8.0/24 traffic is still using the default route instead of the route I added.

Am I correct in understanding that the issue is that you do see the static route in show run but do not see the static route in the output of show ip route? If so my first question is whether the specified next hop of 192.168.9.10 is reachable. Posting the output of show ip route would be helpful.

HTH

Rick

I still stand on the orginal comment, is the next hop IP reachable to nexus ? (if not that rule applies)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes I can ping but my trace route fails.

My ip route shows but traffic still isn't taking that route.  It's still trying to use the default route.

0.0.0.0/0  192.168.7.10(default route for all traffic)

192.168.8.0/24 172.16.205.10 - route I want this traffic to go on.

172.16.205.10 is the switch that DHCP is setup on for the 192.168.8.0/24 network.