cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stop cron schedule after triggered

pashtet13
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, hope you can help me here since I am new to EEM.

I wrote a script to monitor SIP trunk status every 5 minutes and if it goes down send me an email. It works good, but if the SIP trunk is down, script will continue to run and I will keep getting alerts every 5 minutes until the issue is resolved.

I was wondering if there is any way to stop the script from running until trunk comes back up. I am assuming I will need to create another script to monitor if SIP registration is up and somehow tie two scripts together so that one disables another. Hope there is a more elegant solution.

Here is my script:

event manager applet SIP_Trunk_Monitor

event timer cron cron-entry "*/5 * * * *"

action 100 cli command "en"

action 200 cli command "show sip-ua register status"

action 250 foreach line "$_cli_result" "\n"

action 300 regexp "4262456285(.*) no " "$line"

action 400 if $_regexp_result eq "1"

action 600 mail server "10.10.10.10" to "email@company.com" from "monitoring@company.com" subject "SIP trunk is DOWN" body "SIP trunk is DOWN on RouterA"

action 700 end

action 800 end

Thanks for your help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, this won't work.  You need to configure (config t) the environment variable that you wish to use to track the trunk status.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you could do is when the event is triggered, drop into config mode and set the event for this applet to be "none".  Then, within the same applet, configure a second countdown timer applet that times your hold down period.  When it fires, it drops into config mode, sets the event for SIP_Trunk_Monitor back to a cron timer, and then removes itself.

This is similar to the hold down strategy I discuss in https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12723951/how-introduce-large-delays-eem-policies .

Thanks

Another solution I was thinking about - is there any way to define a global variable "i" (kind of like you did event manager environment q "). Variable will either be i=1 (trunk is up) or i=0 (trunk is down).

Then have two conditions:

1. if trunk is down and variable equals 1 (trunk was UP before) - send alert email that trunk is down and change variable to 0

2. if trunk is up and variable equals 0 (trunk was DOWN before) - send another email that trunk came back up and change var to 1

I think this will be much easier, but I am not sure if we can have such variables in EEM and if we can compare it's value to regex results like this:

action 400  if $_regexp_result eq i

You can do this with EEM contexts or by configuring an environment variable within your policy.

Please take a look at this. Since I don't have a test router and my sip trunk rarely goes down, I don't have a way to test this script. Does it make sense to you?

As I said before, I am new to EEM so you help is really appreciated.

action 50 set i 1
action 300  regexp "4262456285(.*) no " "$line"
action 400  if $_regexp_result eq "1"
action 450   if $i eq "1"
action 600    mail server "10.10.50.223" to "email@company.com" from "email@company.com" subject "RouterA: SIP trunk is DOWN" body "SIP trunk is DOWN on RouterA"
action 601    set i 0
action 602   end
action 603   else
action 650   if $i eq "0"
action 651    mail server "10.10.50.223" to "email@company.com" from "email@company.com" subject "RouterA: SIP trunk is back UP" body "SIP trunk is back UP on RouterA"
action 652    set i 1
action 700   end
action 800  end
action 900 end

No, this won't work.  You need to configure (config t) the environment variable that you wish to use to track the trunk status.

so are you saying I should use "event manager environment command" and not "action set i 1"? Something like this?

event manager environment i 1

action 300  regexp "4262456285(.*) no " "$line"
action 400  if $_regexp_result eq "1"
action 500    mail server "10.10.50.223" to "email@company.com" from "email@company.com" subject "RouterA: SIP trunk is DOWN" body "SIP trunk is DOWN on RouterA"
action 600    cli command "conf t"
action 601    cli command "event manager environment i 0"
action 602    cli command "exit"
action 603   end
action 604   else
action 650   if $i eq "0"
action 651    mail server "10.10.50.223" to "email@company.com" from "email@company.com" subject "RouterA: SIP trunk is back UP" body "SIP trunk is back UP on RouterA"
action 652    cli command "conf t"
action 653    cli command "event manager environment i 1"
action 654    cli command "exit"
action 700   end
action 800  end
action 900 end

Yes, this is correct.  While I would have chosen a variable name that was more descriptive, it should do what you want.

I just tested the script and did not get any emails at all (I brought our sip trunk down to test). Have a feeling it's not taking this command:

what's the best way I can debug this script? I am assuming there is no way to run it line by line and see the output or changes each line makes?

You can enable "debug event manager action cli" to see the CLI commands being run.

Thanks for your help. Looks like the script is working as it should now. I forgot to add one more "end" before:)

Hi team! this post is awesome!

But i need your help...

I am newbie to EMM

How change above script ,to send the router to reboot if 1 SIP account is missing in "sh sip-ua register status"

You should start a new thread for your issue.