Views
Helpful
Replies

Supervisor for 4510R+E

Matthew Martin
Level 5
Level 5

Hello All,

What is the newest compatible Supervisor engine for a WS-C4510R+E chassis?

I saw at the link below that it appears an WS-X45-Sup8-E is the newest:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/product_data_sheet0900aecd801792b1.html

Is that correct?

Thanks in Advance,

Matt

8 Replies 8

Ben Samayoa
Level 1
Level 1
Yes, 100% correct. as per TABLE 1 ; Supervisor Engines 8-E, 7‑E, and 6-E4. Regards, Ben

Jeswin S
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

WS-X45-SUP9-E is the latest available,

Please see below link ,

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/nb-09-cat-4500e-sup-engine-ds-cte-en.html

Hope this helps,

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Sup9E is the latest supervisor card that will support HW version 1.0 and later of the 4510R+E.

Couldn't find any EOL announcements for the Sup8 or Sup9, so I assume those haven't been announced yet..?

Also, it looks like the newest IOS-XE versions for both Sup8-E and Sup9-E is version 3.11.0E

Basically, we're trying to get a few more years our of our existing 4510R+E and are trying to decide which way we should go, as Sup8's are significantly cheaper. We are currently running a redundant pair of WS-X45-SUP7-E.

Our existing Linecards include:

WS-X45-SUP7-E  x  2
WS-X4648-RJ45-E x 2 WS-X4648-RJ45V+E x 2 WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V x 3

Thanks Again,
Matt

Not all chassis can support Sup8. If the chassis first came out with the Sup7E, I can guarantee it won't support Sup8 (command is "sh idprom chassis" and look for Hardware Revision). Early chassis, aka Hardware Version 1.1, came out the for the Sup7. Hardware Version 2.0 can support Sup8.
Sup9 was developed to help the early adopters upgrade from Sup7 to Sup9.

Thanks Leo.

So that command shows:

#show idprom chassis | inc Hardware
Hardware Revision = 1.0

I'm looking at a few different pages showing Sup8 Compatibility, and the only thing in all those pages that even mentions Hardware revision or Hardware version is that the USB ports of the Sup8 are only supported on Hardware Revision = 1.1... Do you know where I can find this documented for 4500 Chassis compatibility ? So far I have not been able to find this specification for Hardware Revision.

On a few pages showing the Installation and Configuration guide for Sup8, it shows:

1.To support Supervisor Engine 8-E and 8L-E, the Cisco Catalyst 4507R-E Switch chassis must have hardware revision 2.0 or higher. Note that the hardware revision is with reference to the chassis and not the supervisor engine.

It's not stating the same requirement for the 4510R+E...

Thanks Again,
Matt

Go HERE.  

Cisco's track record for the accuracy of their documentation has taken a plunge for the last 10 years and the only way to get a definitive answer is to raise a TAC Case. 

The hardware "limitation" prevents Sup7 users from upgrading to Sup8 unless they undergo a very costly chassis upgrade.  

Sup9, however, can support Hardware Revision of 1.1.

Hey Leo,

*Agreed, there appears to be so much documentation at times, all for the same stuff, that it makes it VERY difficult to find the answer that your looking for...

I'm still not seeing the limitation for the 4510R+E (*Hardware Revision = 1.0) not having the ability to use Sup8-E. The limitation that I keep seeing appears to be for 4507R-E, which needs to be Hardware Revision = 2.0.

So I opened a TAC case yesterday and they had confirmed that with our 4510R+E chassis, that we can upgrade to Sup8-E, we just wouldn't be able to upgrade to the Sup9-E.

4510_Sup8-E_1.png4510_Sup8-E_2.png

Thanks Again,
Matt