cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SVI and Static MAC

meisemann7
Level 1
Level 1

Thought I would put this out there as I can't find an answer to this question.  I will purposely not include all the history as I am asking a specific question.  I am trying to add a mac-address command to a new L3 switch's SVI interfaces so the MAC is manually established in the SVI.  Like

int vlan x

mac-address AAAA.BBBB.CCCC.DDDD

These SVIs are in an 'admin down' state and when I put in the 'mac-address AAAA.BBBB.CCCC.DDDD' in the 'interface VLAN x' , communication stops for that VLAN even though the SVI is shutdown.  Do you know why?  If it helps this is a Cisco Catalyst 3650 L3 switch.  I am purposely trying to change the MACs in the SVIs to stage them for a switch migration.

clarification:  Communication is fine for the VLAN x if I don't manually change the mac-address with the command.

Thanks,
Matt
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

closing this for now, not sure why VLAN communication stops if the interface is down though.

Thanks,
Matt

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure we able to understand your question correctly ?

These SVIs are in an 'admin down' state and when I put in the 'mac-address AAAA.BBBB.CCCC.DDDD' in the 'interface VLAN x' , communication stops for that VLAN even though the SVI is shutdown.  Do you know why? 

what communication stops ?  

read some reference  here :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6000-series-switches/41263-catmac-41263.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

closing this for now, not sure why VLAN communication stops if the interface is down though.

Thanks,
Matt