Views
Helpful
Replies

Switchport flapping with HP (Static) printer attached

Puxster1979
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

As you can no doubt see I am new to this community. I currently have what I "hope" is a simple question.

(Setup Cisco 1841 router with X2 Cisco 2960 Catalyst switchesconnected)

We currently have a scenario on a Cisco 2960 Catalyst switch with a printer connected to a port on our VLAN1 (A static, non DHCP VLAN)

whereby when the HP network printer is attached the printer resets itself every 20 seconds or so. The actual printer is supported by

another company and unfortunately I don't have either telnet (from our router) or web access to the printer, but the company who supplied

the printer are stating the issue is being brought about by either our router or switch and that the printer has been replaced. I believe

they just configure the printers locally with the just the static IP, the DG and the subnet mask for our network, all I believe to be configured

correctly.

So in summary, a HP printer which has been replaced is connected to any port assigned to VLAN1 on either of the connected switches,

configured locally with the IP,SM and DG and as soon as those settings are applied, the printer continually resets itself. So from the switch

side, all I can see is:

Apr  3 12:36:42: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/7, cha

nged state to down

Apr  3 12:36:43: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/7, changed state to down

Apr  3 12:37:09: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/7, changed state to up

Apr  3 12:37:10: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/7, cha

nged state to up

Apr  3 12:37:34: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/7, cha

nged state to down

Apr  3 12:37:35: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/7, changed state to down

Apr  3 12:38:01: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/7, changed state to up

Has anyone come across this before ? Any suggestions as to what I can change on the switch or router to prevent this ?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Provided it's supported by your device's hw and IOS, you could either disalbe such syslog messages "per-interface" (recommended for the average access ports) or "globally" (not recommended, since you probably want to keep tabs on critical interfaces such as uplinks):

! per-interface

no logging event link-status

! globally

no logging event link-status default

Thanks yjdabear,

This issue wasn't that I wanted to ignore or remove the log entries, rather stop what ever was causing the issue. After removing all other devices from that VLAN by shutting down the various switch ports they were connected to the issue stopped, so we could soon localise a mis-configured device on the same network which was causing the printer to continually reload.

Cheers.

I see this same issue with several HP printers.  Can you tell me more about the misconfigured device that you found?

Hello,

there are only a few settings you can manipulate on the FastEthernet ports:

speed

duplex

mdix

Try and change the values of these settings and check if the port(s) stop flapping...

Georg Pauwen, certainly that is correct.  However, Puxster1979 found a problematic device that was causing the issue.  It was not swtich port settings.  I am seeing this same issue with HP printers and interfaces showing up and down frequently.  Since Puxster1979 indicated this was caused by a misconfigured device that was also connected to the LAN, I was wondering what that device and misconfiguration might be.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco