Helpful
Replies

topology services ciscoworks

frafrafra
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to everyone!

I have ciscoworks with LMS 3.2.

I need to set up a screen where i can view the topology of my network. I want that the user connected to this PC on the Ciscoworks can view only the map of the network without the possibility of doing something else (just read the infomation about the network topology).

How can i do this? briefly, the user must access only to the topology services->display view and can't do anything, he can only see the topology and the status of the devices and links (green or red device).

Please help me if you want!

thanks

2 Replies 2

Derek Clothier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

To help answer your question.

Go to Common Services -> Server -> Reports and run the 'Permission Report' .  This report lists the standard 'User Roles' that you can assign to a User account in LMS, eg 'Network Operator' , and the functions that a user assigned that role can perform when logged into LMS.  The lowest priviledge user role is 'Help Desk' , but you'll see from this report that when loggedin  a user assigned this role can do much more than just launch 'Topology Services'. if you are happy for the user to be able to do these other things fine, simply set up a new user account and assign it the 'Help Desk' role.

If you must limit the user to only being able to Launch Topology Services you would need to do the following which is a little bit more complicated than just setting up a new user account on LMS :

1. Integrate LMS with ACS 4.x (you will need to have ACS already or purchase it)

2. In ACS define a new LMS user role under 'Shared Profile Components' , which will only allow the role to launch Topology Services

3. Setup the new user account in ACS and assign it the new LMS User role that you have set up.

Regards

Derek Clothier

Thank you very much for your answer!

I want only to give access to the Topology services, but i don' have the ACS. Can i use something different? Can you post me a link where i cand find the instructions to do what you suggested me?

Thanks again!