Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic Shaping - can't get it to work

Darren Hunter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I’m attempting to create a basic traffic shaping policy in a lab environment but I can’t seem to get it to limit the download rate?

I can successfully achieve this with policing. I am testing the speed restriction using a broadband speed testing website, policing is clearly impacting the download rate, this is not the case with shaping. Please see below the shaping and policing policies, which I am attaching in turn to the vlan1 interface outbound.

Further I have messed around with the below shaping policy and set a fixed cir as in the policing policy but it still has no impact on the download speed.

Finally class SLOW_PC under PM POLICE matches an ACL matching traffic to and from a particular IP address. The speedlimiter is matching all traffic

Policy Map speedlimiter(Shaping)

Class class-default

Average Rate Traffic Shaping

cir 1%

Policy Map POLICE

Class SLOW_PC

police cir 1048500 bc 32765

conform-action transmit

exceed-action drop

any help appreciated

2 Replies 2

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

Shaping and policing can both can be used for outbound traffic on an interface, but only policing can be used for inbound traffic. If you're trying to use shaping (which works by managing the queue) on inbound traffic (which has no manageable queue) it will have no effect. Policing is the only option in this case.

Hi Thanks for this, I have attached the same policy to the outbound dialer1 interface and analysed the results from a broadband upload speed test which still seem to be unaffected by the shaping policy. I would have thought that I would see some impact on the upload speed?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: