cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Triggering EEM applets using snmp informs and bug CSCth03648

jschweng
Level 1
Level 1

We would like to trigger eem applet on a 3750G to modify an ACl when an snmp inform is received from a server.   I tested this out in a lab a few weeks back and it works good.  I tried initially to send snmp traps to the swtich to trigger the applet but it caused the switch to crash, but sending informs we didn't see any issues.  I tested with ios version 12.2.52SE.  I was going to stepup to 12.2.55SE, we did a bug scrub and noted bug CSCth03648 on both .52 and .55 versions.

This seems to just be relative to snmp informs sent FROM the switch TO the server and not TO the switch.

Do you think that we will hit this problem by sending informs to the switch to trigger applets?

Does does triggering the applet cause the switch to send back an inform to the server?

The applet we setup does send back a trap to the server but I dont see any mention that traps cause a problem?

bug CSCth03648

Pending SNMP Informs builds up and eventually crashes 29xx/37xx switches

2960s; 3750s series switches running 12.2(52)SE1 will experience crash when snmp informs are configured and SNMP servers are not reachable. Workaround: Where possible; please consider implementing traps in place of informs; until this issue is resolved

# event manager applet CLS-STOP

# event snmp-notification oid 1.9.9.9 oid-val "CLS-STOP" op eq

# action 1.0

#  action ..

# action 6.0 puts "CSL-STOP"

# action snmp-trp strdata "CSL-STOP"

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First, I'd like to get more information on the trap crash you describe.  I have been using traps as a means for light-weight RPC between devices, and I have never seen a problem.  If there is a new bug, I'd like to document it.

You are correct in that CSCth03648 relates to a device sending informs rather than receiving them.  You should not see this crash if the switch is receiving informs to trigger config changes.