Views
Helpful
Replies

Two isp connections in one nat network in one router

rsa000701
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 isp connections, one with 2 mbps and 1 mbps.

I want two links to work together simultaneously with more load on 2 mbps link in one nat network of 10.10.10.1

I have a cisco router 2911 but its based on static protocol and no bgp to be used.

How i can configure the router to achieve this ?

Can anyone help me ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark Bracking
Level 1
Level 1

You can accomplish that by using one of these methods

1) IOS NAT Load-Balancing from Two ISP Connections 

2)IOS NAT Load-Balancing with optimized Edge for two Internet Connections

Here is a link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/network-address-translation-nat/100658-ios-nat-load-balancing-2isp.html

Let me know if this works for you best of luck

Mark

View solution in original post

Are you looking for load-sharing where both links are in use (more complicated) or active-standby NAT where one link is in use until the first fails and at that point users begin using the other NAT path?

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Mark Bracking
Level 1
Level 1

You can accomplish that by using one of these methods

1) IOS NAT Load-Balancing from Two ISP Connections 

2)IOS NAT Load-Balancing with optimized Edge for two Internet Connections

Here is a link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/network-address-translation-nat/100658-ios-nat-load-balancing-2isp.html

Let me know if this works for you best of luck

Mark

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

Am fairly new to configuration, i will check how to configure my router and then come back to you.

If you can help me in configuration, please share the configuration.

Thanks & Regards,

Rajasekar

Are you looking for load-sharing where both links are in use (more complicated) or active-standby NAT where one link is in use until the first fails and at that point users begin using the other NAT path?

Hi casanavep,

Exactly the same i want like load sharing.

I want both links to be up and bandwidth of both isp's are to be used simultaneosly.

Hi rsa000701,

Not sure how long you have been on this forum but, how it general works is the more information you can provide the better we can understand what you have and what you want to accomplish. Asking for a configuration that supports two wan links is not much information. I would suggest you provide the router or switch platform, the IOS version, and copy of your running configuration with sensitive information removed, you know, like the real static ip address, mac address, passwords etc. I am not trying to be rude but help use help you by painting a picture of you hardware,your IOS, and your router/switch Issue that you would like help with.

A basic 2 ISP connection using NAT Load-balancing. For this example you have 2 ISPs one is Bam Bam Network Service (cable modem) and the other is Acme Telecom Services (DSL). Our company is Land First Management Team (LFMT)

LFMT is using the Cisco 1801 with IOS 12.4 to provide network services to their clients and employees. The Cisco 1801 specs: 1 DSL port, 2 fast Ethernet ports FA0/0 and FA0/1, 8 port switch, and ISDN that we well not be using. We well use the DSL and fa0/0 for our two ISP configuration. 

So what we would do with this configuration is build a dialer for the DSL that would look something like this

Interface Dialer 0
description PPPoE dialer
ip address negotiated
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly
ip tcp adjust-mss

you can make the nat statement for this now or wait until later when you are configuring the other nat statement you well need. I well wait until later.

Since Bam Bam Network Services is a leader in providing superior service they provide each of their clients with a completely compliant docsis 3.1 cable modem with 1 fast Ethernet port. So LFMT IT department runs cat 5e from the providers router to FA0/0 on the 1801.

Your configuration would look like this:

interface FastEthernet0/0
 description $ETH-WAN$
 ip address DHCP
 ip nat outside
 ip virtual-reassembly
 duplex auto
 speed auto

you would need to complete your NAT statements for both interfaces Dialer0 and FA0/0

You would also need to adjust your configuration for the access-list and ip route. Alright hope that helps some if you would like provide me with the cisco router, IOS version, and interface being used I can come up with a better configuration. The more information you can provide the better we can try and help

best of luck

Mark 

Hi,

Thanks you so much for the information.

I have tried the things but i am struck at a point.

Router : cisco 2911

Ios version : 15.0

Ports :  ge0/0, ge0/1, ge0/2

Here, i have a connection with boom and is already configured in router and working now. But now we bought one more from bada telecom. 

Each broadband given one wan ip and lan ip.

Boom telecom is configured in cisco 2911 router with one wan ip and lan ip in ge 0/0 and nat with ge 0/3.

The problem is how to add bada lan ip in the router.

So help me how to do this and if you need any details let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Rajasekar A

Rajasekar A,

The problem is how to add bada lan ip in the router. (I think you mean WAN & LAN for Bada? )

What is the connection from Bada? What I am asking here is how well you connect Bada to your Cisco 2911?

Since you have already configured Ge0/0 & Ge0/3 for Boom telecom we should be able to use the remaining GE ports for Bada. So port Ge0/1 & Ge0/2 are open right? Let me know how you plan to connect Bada to the Cisco 2911 I can provide some sample configurations for you.. It would be ideal if you can use an open port on the router.  But if you want to know how to add the ip address to an interface it would be like this:

router# config t

router(config)#interface GE0/2   (for interface ge0/2)

router(config-if)#ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 (use isp ip here)

router (config-if)#no shut

router (config-if)# description WAN Link to Baba

router (config-if)#end

router#wr

that should be all you need but we may need to add NAT outside statement

Mark

Hi,

There are only 3 ports which are : ge 0/0, ge0/1, ge0/2

in this boom is configured in ge0/0, ge0/2.

Now bada is to be configured in ge 0/1

But the probelm both boom and bada have given wan and lan ip.

boom wan and lan ip is configured in ge0/0, ge0/2 respectively.

Now i can assign bada wan ip in ge o/1 but where will i assign bada lan ip ?

Router config is like this :

interface GigabitEthernet0/0
description $FW_OUTSIDE$
ip address 201.202.222.221 255.255.255.254
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly
zone-member security out-zone
duplex auto
speed auto
!
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
description $FW_INSIDE$$ES_LAN$
ip address 201.222.206.22 255.255.255.248 secondary
ip address 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
ip virtual-reassembly
zone-member security in-zone
duplex auto
speed auto
!
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
no ip address
shutdown
duplex auto
speed auto
!

Thanks & Regards,

Rajasekar A

You will need to purchase a EHWIC or HWIC for your 2911this well give you a second port for bada . Make sure you buy the correct one for the type of connection you well have with Bada.

Here is a link to your Cisco 2911 Router

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/routers/2911-integrated-services-router-isr/model.html

here is a link to the interface cards you can use in your router

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/ic/hardware/installation/guide/oview_ic.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/high-speed-wan-interface-cards/data_sheet_c78-660124.html

Once you have the card you well use this configuration

IOS NAT Load-Balancing for Two ISP Connections

If you want to use what you have you can create a sub-interface on GigabitEthernet0/1 it would be GigabitEthernet0/1.1 for LAN and use interface GigabitEthernet0/2 for your WAN from bada. But, this can be a problem if the physical link go's down you well loose both connections so I would suggest you buy a EHWIC or HWIC card so each ISP is on a separate dedicated interfaces.

Thank you so much for your help.

It's very much useful.

Thanks & Regards,

Rajasekar A

Hi all,i need your help guys.Presently i have one ISP but we are embarking on a major upgrade.Two ISPs,two Cisco Routers,one L3 Switch and a cyberoam firewall.I will share a similar diagram with this mail.How can i achieve this.Suggested configurations will be highly appreciated aswell. Thanks in anticipation. 

Hi, 

Can you give me the config for load sharing.

You can take 13.12.21.110 and 112.11.11.22 but both are static protocols

Thanks & Regards,

Rajasekar A

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: