cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade LMS Windows 3.2 to Virtual Appliance 4.1

dporod
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I currently have LMS 3.2 on a Windows server. I'd like to upgrade to 4.1 on a virtual appliance. I don't care about migrating data and would probably like to just start fresh. My question is If I were to download the 4.1 evaluation virtual appliance and also purchase the 3.2 to 4.1 upgrade license would I be able to apply that license to the evaluation?

6 Replies 6

Nael Mohammad
Level 5
Level 5

You can always update the eval to a fully licenses product when in production from

Admin > System > License Management and click update.

John Mayer
Level 1
Level 1

HI dporod

did you upgrade your lms to 4.1?

actually i have a client who want from me to do this, he already have 3.2 in operation and want to upgrade to 4.1 with upgrade license i didnt know that is it possible or know?

does cisco need old license for new one?

When you order the required LMS upgrade to move from 3.x to 4.x, the Cisco Entitlement team will validate that the end customer's eligibility. Once you have the 4.x license, it's usable on your server, whether built fresh or upgraded in place.

FYI, the product you should move to would be LMS 4.2.2, the license for which is included with Prime Infrastructure 1.2 Lifecycle. Please refer to Table 5 in this document.

Hello Marvin

at first i want to thank you for your quick reply

actually i know lms4.1 is in the end of life list and the it's replace with Prime infrastructure1.1 or 1.2, but because there isn't any upgrade procedure for Prime infrastructure I'm looking for upgrade 3.2 to 4.1

btw, you said that if i can buy upgrade license for 3.2 to prime infrastructure 1.2 i can upgrade my existing lms3.2 on windows to new installation soft-appliance in PI1.2??

Best Regards

John

You're welcome.

PI 1.2 licensing is a bit confusing to say the least. For now, just think - buy PI 1.2 and get to install LMS 4.2. Don't bother with the actual PI 1.2 product at this point except for ordering purposes to get your licensing straight. (It's pretty much the old NCS wireless management system with some bits of LMS thrown in and updated to the Prime look and feel.)

You can backup and migrate your data from LMS 3.2 SP1 on Windows (or Solaris) directly onto LMS 4.2 soft appliance. The procedure is covered in the Installation Guide here.

Once you've installed LMS 4.2, you can update it to 4.2.2 and also add in all the package updates.

^^-Correct.  There were lots of performance bugs that were fixed in 4.2.2 from 4.2 and 4.1. 

Your best bet would be to install from scratch and build it all over again.  Basically what I did was built 4.2.2 and left 3.1 running and just waited for all the jobs we had to finish over time and had every one start using the new one.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: