Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Prime 3.1 to 3.4

jtnieuw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I tried to upgrade our Prime virtual appliance from version 3.1 to 3.4, according to the instructions in this document:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-4/quickstart/guide/bk_Cisco_Prime_Infrastructure_3_4_0_Quick_Start_Guide.html#task_1070940

Chapter: How to Perform an Inline Upgrade

However, after a reboot the server still runs with version 3.1. There is no possibility to choose  booting to version 3.4.

Can anyone tell me how to solve this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In that case it clearly doesn't work and runs into an error. You have two options that I can see now:
1. create a new VM with the 3.4 image and import the backup from 3.1
2. open a TAC and hope that they can help

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
In that case the installation was unsuccessful. Login to your vsphere, open console of the server and start the installation from there again. It will probably take half a day (in my case it's not working at all, but that's another discussion) for the full upgrade. You can always check the status in your vsphere console. The server should reboot automatically at the end of the upgrade with the new version. The upgrade replaces the old installation.

Hi,
That is what I already did: Install it from the vSphere console. I looks like the installation skips from step 3 to 7: Suddenly the prompt is back and the server does not reboot. After I rebooted manually, it returns to the current version (3.1)

In that case it clearly doesn't work and runs into an error. You have two options that I can see now:
1. create a new VM with the 3.4 image and import the backup from 3.1
2. open a TAC and hope that they can help

Hi Patoberli

Thank you, I'll try a new VM

Good idea. My upgrade from 3.2.2 to 3.3 or 3.4 also failed now twice. Probably also doing the new VM way.

Do you also have experience for upgraden from 3.4 to 3.6 ? Because I plan to do an inline upgrade and looking for success or failed stories.

I don't, still running 3.5, which I have successfully upgraded from (I think) 3.4 many months ago.

As always, create a backup and if it's a VM, a Snapshot before starting the upgrade.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: