Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Prime Infrastructure 3.5 to 3.8

Hi,

i must upgrade a PI 3.5 to 3.8.

What is the best patrice? what i can to do this?

- use PI-Upgrade-35x_36x_to_3.7.0.0.159.tar.gz and after use PI-Upgrade-36x_37x_to_3.8.0.0.310.tar.gz?

OR

- i can do a new fresh install of PI 3.8 and directly restore a backup of PI 3.5 to PI 3.8?

OR

- use PI-Upgrade-35x_36x_to_3.7.0.0.159.tar.gz, and new fresh install of PI 3.8 and restore the backup of PI 3.7 to PI 3.8

thanks

5 Replies 5

jmecklenburg
Level 2
Level 2

I believe you can't restore from another version, I think the process should be upgrade to 3.6 and then 3.8

fixie rider

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- The best practice is to read the 3.8 Release Notes and followup on the System Requirements, Installation procedures and or Upgrade step instructions.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I read the realease note, but if I ask this question, it's because it's not understandable for me.

I have seen this:
"If your existing Prime Infrastructure is 3.6.x or 3.7.x, and your upgrade path contains 3.4.x or earlier versions, then you cannot in-line upgrade that server to Prime Infrastructure 3.8 due to security vulnerabilities in the underlying Red Hat 6 installation. You will need to take a backup of the Prime Infrastructure 3.6.x or 3.7.x server, deploy a fresh Prime Infrastructure 3.8 server, and restore that backup into the Prime Infrastructure 3.8 server."
We can read, for PI 3.4, we must upgrade to 3.7 and after to do a fresh install for PI 3.8, no information for 3.5 to 3.8.

but for a PI 3.5, we can upgrade to 3.7 (in-line upgrade) and after to 3.8 (in-line upgrade)?
or we must upgrade 3.5 to 3.7 (in-line upgrade), and after to do a fresh install for 3.8?

According "Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.8 Quick Start Guide"

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-8/quickstart/guide/bk_Cisco_Prime_Infrastructure_3_8_0_Quick_Start_Guide.html#task_1070867

I think in your case depend if the version 3.5 was a new installation or was a upgrade from 3.1-4 to 3.5.

If case cpi 3.5 was a new installation you can upgrade to 3.7 (in-line upgrade) and after to 3.8 (in-line upgrade) if you get a 3.5 from a upgrade from 3.1-4 to 3.5. you must upgrade 3.5 to 3.7 (in-line upgrade), and after to do a fresh install for 3.8

Regards

fixie rider

- The text is a bit confusing and allures according to me, to having 3.4 in the past or not. It seems advisable anyway to inline upgrade from 3.5 to 3.7 and then to use the fresh-install 3.8 and backup/restore method from  3.7 to get a 3.8 installation going (to be safe).

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !