cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgraded WLC 4402 to software version 7.0.116.0 & then after an hour my switch crashed

irvswirve30
Level 1
Level 1

I have upgraded our WLC 4402 to software version 7.0.116.0 and then about an hour later my core switch rebooted and then came back online. About 15 minutes later it rebooted and never came back up. The switch need to be rebooted and and after that all connections were restored. The question I have is why would my switch reboot and did not come back up after I upgraded my WLC?

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The switch need to be rebooted and and after that all connections were restored. The question I have is why would my switch reboot and did not come back up after I upgraded my WLC?

It's purely coincidental.  I've got a handful of WLC/WiSM-1 running this code.  All my Cisco switches are stable.

1.  What IOS is your switch running on?

2.  Post the "sh ver" and "sh logs".

3.  If the switch(es) crashed there should be a number of crashlogs.  Post these too.

I have attached the sh ver for this switch.

How would I display the crashinfo?

There is a crashinfo dir under the flash and there are 2 crashinfo files. I tried to tftp the file but was unsuccessful.

Any other suggestions?

I've checked your "sh version" attachment and doesn't make sense.

1.  If it crashed then why did it say 'System returned to ROM by power-on" approximately "ccg-bna-sw-3550 uptime is 2 days, 44 minutes".

2.  IOS 12.1(20)EA1a is a pretty, old IOS.  I'd consider upgrading this.

There is a crashinfo dir under the flash and there are 2 crashinfo files. I tried to tftp the file but was unsuccessful.

What happens when you do "copy flash:/crashinfo/ tftp:"?

Can the switch ping the TFTP server?

Can the switch create a file in the TFTP server?

If it's not possible then use the command "more flash:/crashinfo/" and cut-n-paste everything.

I have attached the crash info.

The switch was power recycled becasue we could not get to the switch. Thats why under the sh ver it shows System returned to ROM by power-on.

Let me know your thoughts.

Boy, that crashinfo didn't contain much other than the crash was software-caused.  I guess it's time for you to upgrade the IOS to something more up-to-date.

I can assure you that it has nothing to do with the WLC firmware upgrade either.

Out of curiosity, how long has the switch been up since the last reboot?  >1 year?

This crash is related to a known and resolved IOS bug:

CSCee41711    Switch reloads when show cdp neighbor detail is issued

Release-note: Added 03/30/2005 05:00:00 by

Symptom:
A Catalyst switch running Cisco IOS release 12.1(19)EA1x, 12.1(20)EA1x or 12.1(20)EA2 might reload when  show cdp neighbor detail is entered.

Condition:
The CDP neighbor was removed at the exact time that the command show cdp neighbor detail was entered.

Workaround:
While running these specific releases of Cisco IOS, there is no workaround.

Additional Information:
This problem only occurs when entering a show cdp command that displays the management IP address of the CDP neighbor. This problem is not observed when just running 'show cdp neighbor' without the 'detail' option.

For example, this problem might be seen if show cdp neighbor FastEthernet0/1 detail is entered, but not if show cdp neighbor FastEthernet0/1 is entered.

This problem also might be seen if running show cdp entry * because it displays the IP address of the CDP neighbor.

This is resolved in 12.1(22)EA2 or 12.1(22)EA1 and later images. 

I found this by decoding the crashinfo tracebacks.  You might have been able to find it by pasting the show tech into the output interpreter.

https://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/OutputInterpreter/home.pl

........Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: