cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Usbflash vs. flash

eddysamson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all I have a 1921 router with IOS 15.2 that I am trying to get the anyconnect .pkg installed on. I have made a thread on this here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3769346

although it has died out. What I need now is some help on how to switch between my two flashs on this router. I have flash: and usbflash0: and the problem seems to be that whenever I run the "copy tftp flash" command it uploads the file by default to my usbflash0 which I cannot install the anyconnect .pkg from.

I have been having some trouble finding how to switch to the flash, can anyone shed some light on this?

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here's the difference:

1.  "flash:" is the compact flash (CF).  I believe for the ISR G2, the CF is "hidden" inside a metal clasp which can easily be access using the tip of a pen (not an expensive fountain pen).

2.  "usbflash0:" or "usbflash1:" is the external USB memory stick or thumb drive.

You can copy file(s) to-and-from the USB stick to the CF without any issues (as long as the CF and the USB memory stick are supported by the router).

You can also boot from a USB stick either from the CLI or from ROMmon. 

Thanks for the reply. I thought thats what it meant by usbflash...the problem? We have nothing in our USB slot. How does it work then?

Results for 'show file system' for reference:

Also what would the command to switch a file from usbflash0 to flash look like?

How does it work then?

Stick a valid USB stick in and run the most basic command:  dir usbflash0:

Also what would the command to switch a file from usbflash0 to flash look like?

If you want to copy a file from the USB stick to the flash, the command is:  copy usbflash0:filename.extension flash:

NOTE:  Don't forget the ":" at the end.

I haven't put a USB stick in yet, but running the command 'dir flash:' gives me usbflash0: results. Will this change with a USB stick? I guess I am just confused as to why it uses usbflash0: instead of flash: when there isn't a USB stick connected. It just doesn't make logical sense!

but running the command 'dir flash:' gives me usbflash0: results.

That's incorrect.  The command "dir flash:" will give you the output of the on-board flash of the appliance. 

How can I be wrong when that is exactly what I'm seeing? The proof:

results for 'dir usbflash0:'

and the results for 'dir flash:'

Not only does it show the same files but instead of saying "Directory of flash:/" it says "Directory of usbflash0:/"

Is this something that will change when I insert a USB stick?

Not only does it show the same files but instead of saying "Directory of flash:/" it says "Directory of usbflash0:/"

Is this something that will change when I insert a USB stick?

I've never seen a bug like this before.  What is the IOS you are running?

See if you get the same result with the command "dir flash1:"?

'dir flash1:' did not work. The router is running IOS 15.2

So you think this is a bug? I guess that would make sense as this issue really hasnt made any logical sense to me.

'dir flash1:' did not work.

Of course it wouldn't work.  I'm a nut-case.

Sorry for giving you the wrong advice.  

I think it's a bug.

What can I do about that? Update to a new version of IOS or perhaps go back to an older version?

Update to a new version of IOS or perhaps go back to an older version?     

Upgrade won't hurt.

If that doesn't work am I pretty much out of luck with this particular router?

If that doesn't work am I pretty much out of luck with this particular router?

Not really.  It's just a nuisance.  Not alot of people know-how or use the USB mechanism.