cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User reporting intermittent network disconnects

pendal8286
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all and thanks for your time and expertise.  I have two users reporting they get disconnected from the internet a few times a day.  They reported this situation once before and the two DCs in the building were down.  I resolved that problem but they are reporting the issue again.  However, this time the DCs are up.  I also checked the logs of the core switch and the two mdf switches and confirmed there are no blips or interfaces going down/up that may cause this outage.

I actually believe the issue is with the users' devices but I was looking for best practices when troubleshooting a problem like this from a switch perspective.

- When I want to make sure the switches have not experienced any outages I check the log files.  I check the status of the relevant interfaces and make sure everything is connected and up.  That said I'm still learning in this business so I was wondering if you could tell me what steps should I take to cover all the bases in this kind of scenario.  Much appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Check STP as well make sure the vlan or interface they are connected too did not go into spin same time they complained of lost internet , if layer 2 was down they were down too

show spanning-tree detail | inc ieee|occurr|from|is exec

Are the 2 users on the same switch ?
if so did other users on same switch notice the issue ?
Check there not overloading there interfaces too , flooding buffer etc may cause them to think they have droped off net but may not be able to get out due to excessive traffic load
Check the uplinks too , make sure there ok not just user ports