cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User Tracking Utility Host name lookup

jeffreydorn
Level 1
Level 1

A couple of months ago I upgraded our 2 old 6500 to a pair of 6509's running as a Virtual Switching System.  I use this VSS for core routing/switching for all internal LAN traffic.  Since this upgrade, I am no longer able to use host names while using the User Tracking utility.  User tracking still works with MAC & IP address, just not with the hostname anymore.

I found a previous thread that I test my resolver.pl.  If I use resolver.pl with the IP address, it returns just the IP address, not the hostname.  If I use resolver.pl with the hostname, it returns the hostname and IP address.

CM version: 5.1.4

VSS IOS version: 12.2(33) SXI

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This points to a problem getting the ARP information from the associated router.  Which device should have the ARP entry for 00-21-70-14-62-ac?  Is it the VSS itself?  If so, do an SNMP Walk on the ipNetToMediaTable.  You need to be able to find an entry for 00-21-70-14-62-ac.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Switching to a VSS configuration would have no effect on resolving IPs to hostnames.  That boils down to DNS.  For the end hosts entries with IP addresses, do they also have the subnet field populated, or is that empty?

The subnet field is also empty.

In my acquisition settings I have it configured to "Use DNS to resolve host names".  I also perform a ping sweep on all subnets.

You may be seeing known bug CSCsz21493.  A patch is available from TAC which will fix this.  However, it may be that ARP entries are not being collected from the new VSS device.  In this case, more troubleshooting will need to be done, but it would be good to apply this patch first.

Ok, just got done upgrading LMS for another issue. I'm now at CM 5.2.1.  I see that CSCsz21493 was supposed to be addressed in 5.0.5.  Do you think I'm still seeing this issue.  If so, how do I go about getting this patch? 

Another Note, since the upgrade, I do see some hostname/subnet listed on default VLAN 1.

No, this bug was resolved in 5.2.1.  If you had 5.1.4, and now you're on 5.2.1, you upgraded to LMS 3.2 then went to 5.2.1?  Post a UT export illustrating the current problem.

Correct, I upgraded LMS to 3.2 and upgraded CM to 5.2.1.  I think this is the data you're asking for, it's a sample of a user tracking report.  I still think there has to be a link to the conversion to VSS, it worked fine before I made the switch.

Thanks

How are you running UT acquisitions?  Are you using subnet acquisition or dynamic UT?

I'm running UT acquisitions, minors every 60 minutes and majors twice a day.  I'm performing a subnet acquisition on "All subnets".

I think I know what's happening.  Delete the row for 00-21-70-14-62-ac from UT, then run a new MAJOR acquisition from the Campus Manager homepage.  See if the row gets written back correctly.  My assumption is it will be written back without an IP address.

Sorry, but how do I delete a row from UT?

Never mind, I see I can delete from within the report.

That is exactly what happened.  It found the mac address but no hostname, IP address, or Subnet.

This points to a problem getting the ARP information from the associated router.  Which device should have the ARP entry for 00-21-70-14-62-ac?  Is it the VSS itself?  If so, do an SNMP Walk on the ipNetToMediaTable.  You need to be able to find an entry for 00-21-70-14-62-ac.

That was the problem!  While implementing the new VSS pair, a SNMP cutdown view of IP.21 and IP.22 were added to the config.  I appreciate all the help on this.  Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: