cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using iPad to console into Cisco router/switch

frodriguez415
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering what was needed to console into a router/switch using a iPad Pro

3 Replies 3

there are some solutions. found https://www.get-console.com/shop/. you can inquire about how its work from seller.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Hello,

I think the iPad Pro has a USB-C (not a Lightning) port. The 'newer' Cisco devices (such as the Catalyst 9K switches) have RJ-45 and USB Mini-Type B ports, for the older (USB-A) ports you would need a USB-C to USB-A cable. For the really old devices with serial console ports, you would need a USB-C to serial (DB-9) cable.

New ipads do have USB C. Unfortunately, Apple seems to have locked down their system so you can't use any USB C adapters for Cisco console access. I have personally tried USB C to usb mini (9200 & 2900), usb c to rj45, and usb adapter to usb A with serial adapter. All a no go, all work fine on Windows and I have had success with Android also... It's a bummer, don't want to drop $100 on air console stuff that has a battery and I've witnessed to be so-so on reliability. It's a shame, Ipad seems like the perfect platform for a quick switch config, or verification in the field, wish it was a computer to do work on rather than an expensive toy. Oh well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: