cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan based port groups Prime 3.1

NetworKing16
Level 1
Level 1

I am wondering if there is any way in Cisco prime 3.1 (or maybe a newer version) to create port groups based on VLAN settings. I would like to have some way to make port groups based on the port settings. E.G a port with a voice vlan assigned would show up in a VOIP port group. And Ports set to trunk vlans for internal and public wirless make up a wirless port group. Also a group for PA system that would be based ona port accessing a certain VLAN.

I would also like to somehow make a port group for all uplink ports that link into the core., but those do not change much so I could manually define those too. Defining the access ports though would probably be harder. 

Can this be done in Prime? Is there any alternitive way to do this? So far all I can think is set all of the VOIP ports to a description of VOIP, PC and define a group rule based on the description keyword VOIP. For the phones I could possibly do CDP, but the WAPs, speakers could not do this. 

3 Replies 3

Hi,

Prime Infrastructure supports four types of system defined port groups. As and when new devices are added to the system, the ports of the devices are automatically assigned to the respective groups.

Trunk Ports—Ports that are connected to a Cisco device or other network devices (Switch/Router/Firewall/Third party devices) and operating on “Trunk” mode in which they carry traffic for all VLANs.
Link Ports—Ports that are connected to another Cisco device or other network devices and are operating on “VLAN” mode and are assigned to a VLAN.
Access Ports—Ports that are connected to an end host, IP phone, servers, Access Points (AP) or video end points and operating on “Access” mode in which they carry traffic for only one particular VLAN.
Unconnected Ports—Ports are unconnected if any or all of the below are valid:
– Not connected to any device.

– Operational status is down.

– Administrative status is down.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

I have seen some of this in prime, but all I get is ethernet ports, trunks don't even show up. I want this for end devices like phones, etc based dynamically on VLAN.

Still not possible in Prime 3.4 and I guess this won't be fixed cause Cisco is moving ressource towards DNA Center. As far as I know there will be only one or two new Prime versions in the future.