Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS to Prime INfrastructure migration

Hi ,

I have a customer who wants to upgrade from WCS to PI12. Please let me know if the below is the correct procedure for it. Its a bit confusing due to the fact that first we need to migrate to NCS1.1 to reach PI12.

1. Order the WCS to PI12 upgrade SKU

2. Order the Prime APpliance with NCS1.1 software version (instead of PI12 software)

3. Get a demo license for NCS1.1 and migrate from WCS to NCS1.1

4. Upgrade NCS1.1 to PI12 software

5. Add the WCS to PI12 upgrade license on PI12.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Prime Infrastructure doesn't have an ncs migrate command....this command exist only with NCS, hence the reason one will have to migrate WCS to NCS and then do an inplace upgrade from NCS to Prime Infrastructure or a backup and restore from NCS to Prime Infrastructure. 

NOTE: once NCS has been installed, apply patch 12 1st or the the upgrade (in place or migration) to Prime Infrastructure won't work.  This patch can be found under the Prime Infrastructure 1.2 pathches page.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Yes it is all a bit confusing and the products are evolving rapidly so the procedure may change. As of right now you CAN upgrade directly from WCS to PI 1.2. So your steps would be:

1. As you state above

2. Order appliance with PI 1.2

3. Migrate data from WCS to PI 1.2 (Assuming your WCS is at the prerequisite level - please reference this guide.)

Also note that actually the current release of PI is 1.3. However the appliance is not orderable with 1.3 as of yet. So you will need to update the PI from 1.2 to 1.3 on the appliance once you done your migration from WCS.

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for the reply. But i am not too sure about this. There has been some posts about not being able to upgrade to PI12 directly and you need to take a NCS1.1 path first and then upgrade ?  See the below post which is recent.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3864651

Prime Infrastructure doesn't have an ncs migrate command....this command exist only with NCS, hence the reason one will have to migrate WCS to NCS and then do an inplace upgrade from NCS to Prime Infrastructure or a backup and restore from NCS to Prime Infrastructure. 

NOTE: once NCS has been installed, apply patch 12 1st or the the upgrade (in place or migration) to Prime Infrastructure won't work.  This patch can be found under the Prime Infrastructure 1.2 pathches page.

Thanks Rob ! . So the steps i mentioned in the initial post are fine i guess.

Marvin,

So in your suggestion, how will you get the migration done without the ncs migrate command ? is there any other workaround so that i can directly upgrade from WCS to PI12 ?

It appears the Cisco documentation (Cisco Prime Infrastructure Deployment Guide) is incorrect. My original reply was based on that and I stand corrected. I apologize for the confusion.

The authoritative citation would be the Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2 Quick Start Guide. As Rob indicated, you do need to take the extra steps to migrate.

I just logged into my lab and checked my server (PI 1.3) and confirmed it does not have the "ncs migrate" command available.

PrimeNCS/admin# ncs migrate

^

% invalid command detected at '^' marker.

PrimeNCS/admin# ncs ?

cleanup   Disk cleanup

db        Control database operations

ha        Control high availability operations

key       Control keyadmin operations

password  Change passwords

service   Service Commands

start     Start NCS

status    Print Status of NCS

stop      Stop NCS

PrimeNCS/admin#

Hi,

I have one more query in this regard. If customer has WCS AP  base license of 600, for the WCS to PI12 migration SKU , can i order a  500 + 100 ?  or does it have to be in same increment as how the WCS  licenses were initially bought ?

I would email licensing@cisco.com and present the licensing question to them....

hi Rob,

Licensing informed they can work on it only after i have placed the order and if i have issues. I want to understand this before i place the order.

regards

Have you looked at the PI 1.2 Licensing and Ordering Guide? It states:

Ordering Information for Existing Cisco WCS 7.0 Customers

1. Determine the license count for your existing Cisco WCS 7.0 product and order the matching Cisco Prime Infrastructure migration part number in Table 7. When using the Cisco Ordering Tool enter the part number R-W-Pl12-M-K9. to access the options.

Your Cisco partner can build a configuration in the Cisco  Commerce Workspace tool to validate the license SKUs, including support contract options.

If you have further questions on packaging, you can also contact ask-prime-infrastructure@cisco.com.

Hi Rob.

I did follow the deplyment guide, (Marvins earlier post helped me decide to go directly for CPI) and since the migrate command was indeed amiss I am stuck with A CPI platform that i cannot transfer WCS data to. Scrapping the current CPI an restart clean with NCS would be too complicated.

My question is if we setup an separate NCS 1.1.3 demo installation (current latest). How will AP count above 100 remain in the database beeing backuped even of we don't have sufficient licenses beyond the default demo limit? Will ALL data from the WCS survive the backup (NCS) and the restore (CPI) or do I nned to have full license coverage in the intermediate platform?

Thanks in advance.

Matt, there are a couple of ways to do the upgrade.  The easiest in my opinion are as shown below.  Even easier would be to open a TAC case and we can do it for you-

Here is a high level view of the steps I would do if the TAC doesn't do it

1) Run the export.bat all (windows) or export.sh all command (linux)

2) Using NCS 1.1.1.24 patch 12- Run the ncs migrate command.  Please don't use NCS 1.1.2.12 or 1.1.3

3) Upgrade this version to Prime 1.3 using the application upgrade command to do an in-place upgrade

Note:  a license won't be needed for the interim NCS 1.1.1.24 install as the ncs migrate and application upgrade commands are executed from the CLI

Thanks Rob.

One question though - Do I need to upgrade the intermediate NCS to CPI before exporting the backup to the target CPI?

(I.e are the backups not not resorable betwen NCS and CPI?)

Cheers

Hi Marvin

My PI 1.3 cannot use "nc migrate" command.

I did not install license for it, it is under evaluation mode.

is it the reason?

Best Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: