cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is snmp traps for monitoring C3560 L2 interface traffic?

a.shredi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have C3560 connected with Centreon monitoring system and I want to monitor the bandwidth usage on each interface but I didn't figure out which command/traps I should use for this matter. Please note that all the interfaces are enabled switchport access command. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

a.shredi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Everything is working now I think the problem was that the interface name in the NMS is wrong I change it to Gi0/1 instead of GigabitEthernet0/1 after that its worked just fine.

To know the interfaces names you have to use enter the command 

show if-mgr db interface ifName

Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ben Walters
Level 3
Level 3

For interface traffic it's better to use polling rather than traps. Meaning your Centreon server is asking the switch for SNMP information.

This way you only need to configure fairly basic SNMP settings to allow the server to poll the switch.

Check this out for more information on setting up SNMP on the 3560:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12-2_52_se/configuration/guide/3560scg/swsnmp.html

If you already have the basics set up you should be able to get the interface traffic pretty easily, and even though I am not familiar with Centreon most monitoring solutions already have Cisco interface traffic sensors built in by default.

If you do have to manually craft your own sensors use the following MIB (IF-MIB) 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.x.x

These are the basic values you would want to look at for traffic:

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.x is the interface description

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.x is traffic IN

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.x is traffic OUT

The traffic values are absolute though so you will have to take the difference between the previous value and current value to get the traffic/second value, but any good monitoring solution should allow you to do this easily.

Thanks for your advice. 

I read the document but i did not find what I'm lookin for. Centreon contains Cisco sensors already but i am not sure how to enable this sensors to work on the switch, also I do not know how to do pull instead of traps.

I configured Centreon for traffic monitoring and I put GigabitEthernet0/1 as the interface name to be monitored but I got unknown status!
Would you help me with this? Thanks.

Hi,

Everything is working now I think the problem was that the interface name is wrong I change it to Gi0/1 instead of GigabitEthernet0/1 after that the monitoring worked just fine.

Now my question is how can I know the right interface name that must be used on other interfaces and Cisco devices?

Thanks.

a.shredi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Everything is working now I think the problem was that the interface name in the NMS is wrong I change it to Gi0/1 instead of GigabitEthernet0/1 after that its worked just fine.

To know the interfaces names you have to use enter the command 

show if-mgr db interface ifName

Thanks.