cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What kind of log I can get with "level informational" - c2950 & 6500

casinamul
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, everybody, It is nice to meet you. I am working in Tokyo in japan as network engineer.
It is my first time to write something on here Cisco Support Community and I don't speak English very well.
So I hope everyone understand my pour question and writing. But I wish somebody anwser to this question.

I am using kiwi sever to manage four of 6500 and about thirty of c2950.
The kiwi server is working normally logging both 6500's syslog and c2950's.

But I have question about difference between 6500's level informational and c2950's.

For example, When I log in 6500 I can get a log from my kiwi server.

And When I enter some command to change config I can also get a log from my kiwi server.

However When it come to c2950 I can't get the logs. I can only get logs that notice 'interface up/down' or 'changed config' stuff like that.

I think I have correct config about logging both 6500 and c2950 as follow.

Trap logging: level informational, OOOOO message lines logged
        Logging to XX.XX.XX.XX, OOOOO message lines logged, xml disabled,
               filtering disabled

Anybody know what kind of log I can get with "level informational" on c2950.

Thanks everybody.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Information is a fairly low severity which means you'll get everything except debugging messages.  This includes link up/down, config change,

CPU hog, etc.  If you're not seeing messages other than link up/down and config change, then there may not be anything else happening on the switch which triggers a log message.  Check the output of "show log".  That should agree with your syslog logs.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Information is a fairly low severity which means you'll get everything except debugging messages.  This includes link up/down, config change,

CPU hog, etc.  If you're not seeing messages other than link up/down and config change, then there may not be anything else happening on the switch which triggers a log message.  Check the output of "show log".  That should agree with your syslog logs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco