cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When average factor is specified, why entry-type / exit-type must be 'rate' ??

naveeku2
Level 1
Level 1

My requirement is to trigger an event when the interface Rx utilization shoots over 50 % averaged over 30 secs. I can think of two possible ways of doing this with EEM applet:

1.  event interface name GigabitEthernet0/0 parameter rxload entry-op ge entry-val 128 entry-type value poll-interval 1 average-factor 30

2. event interface name GigabitEthernet0/0 parameter receive_rate_bps entry-op ge entry-val 500000000 entry-type rate average-factor 30 poll-interval 1

The first one doesn't seem to work because EEM requires entry-type be 'rate' when average-factor is specified.

I would also like to know how rxload and txload parameters are calculated. How often the byte counters are sampled to calculate rxload/txload values ?

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The txload and rxload are calculated based on the per-interface load-interval.  You can configured this down to 30 seconds:

int gi0/0

load-interval 30

Then just use:

event interface name name gi0/0 parameter rxload entry-op ge entry-val 128 entry-type value poll-interval 30

Considering load-interval to be 30.

How is the calculation done ?

[ifInOctets(t+30) ~ ifInOctects(t)]*8 / [30*ifSpeed] quantized to 8 bit value

(or)

Moving average of latest 30 samples - sampled every second ?

I see almost immediate change in txload and rxload values as soon as I change the interface bandwidth using the bandwidth command under the interface. So, I am wondering how the exact calculation is done ?

If the requirement is to take action based on the average of say 5 recent values that exceed 128, How can we do this with EEM applet ?

I haven't looked at this in a long time, but as I recall, this is a decaying exponential average calculated over the load-interval.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: