cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which OID TO SNMP poll for the chassis number of an ASA 5585?

Yermander
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to create a report that lists chassis Serial number for all my Cisco devices and have been using CiscoChassisSerialNumber and chassisSerialNumberString and chassisId to poll for chassis Serial number over a range of different Cisco devices successfully but when I try these on an ASA 5585 they're not supported. I did a MIB walk on the box both standard and private MIB walk and I can't see anything to poll for Chassis serial number. I can poll entPhysicalSerialNum but this does not give me back just the chassis serial number.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

BTinNC
Level 1
Level 1

I dont have a 5585 to test it on, but I ran snmpwalk against a 5505 and 5550 and found the serial number listed here for both of them:

View solution in original post

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
with 5585 , there is a known issue/ BUG
CSCuh58074 Chassis serial number missing in entity mib on 5585
check the BUG , upgrading the code will have the fix of the issue.
Thanks-
Afroz
**Ratings Encourages Contributors ****
Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

BTinNC
Level 1
Level 1

I dont have a 5585 to test it on, but I ran snmpwalk against a 5505 and 5550 and found the serial number listed here for both of them:

Hi Brian, thanks for the input. Unfortunately I tried that OID against each of the 6 5585's we have and either got a "no value was returned" or "this OID is not supported" so I'm beginning to guess that AfroJ's comment re a bug on 5585's might be the issue? I'll pursue that line of investigation now. Happy new year to you, I'm trying to rate your answer but when I click on the stars the page just refreshes and the stars don't get selected? Do I need a certain amount of user points or something to rate answers?

Was able to rate after replying to you? Anyway thanks again!

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
with 5585 , there is a known issue/ BUG
CSCuh58074 Chassis serial number missing in entity mib on 5585
check the BUG , upgrading the code will have the fix of the issue.
Thanks-
Afroz
**Ratings Encourages Contributors ****
Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Hi AFROJ thanks for the reply, I've been trying to do a search on "CSCuh58074 Chassis serial number missing in entity mib on 5585" and it only directs me back to this very page? However a search for Chassis serial number missing in entity mib on 5585 gets me here...

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa93/release/notes/asarn93.html

All of our 5585's are running 9.1(2/4) so I can gather from these release notes that this is a bug that wasn't fixed until 9.3(1). The latest recommended stable release according to Cisco is 9.2 so we won't upgrade beyond that, so I guess we'll just have to live with it! Thanks and Happy New Year