Views
Helpful
Replies

Which primary DHCP server

lkomarci
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,,

as a best practice scenario what is in your opinion the best and the safest way to organize DHCP in a system that a few different types of systems that can be used as DHCP servers, i.e. virtual DCs, routers, L3 switches, all-in-one solutions like the Kerio Control and so on?

If you have IPTVs, VoIP telephones, CCTV cameras and of course desktops/laptops, what would you preferably use as a DHCP server for these systems - core switch/es, virtual DCs...? And what do you think about using a system like the Kerio Control as your primary DHCP server?

thanks

2 Replies 2

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @lkomarci ,

Can you detail your doubt a little more?

Regards

Hi Luis,

sure, I can give you a nice scenario that actually happened.

There's an non-simulated blackout, UPSs run out of juice before the power is back so naturally your ESXs and all the VMs are down. Once the power is back the ESXs are back up but the DCs aren't, the VMs are for some reason corrupt. The DC is set as your primary DNS/DHCP server so your desktops, laptops, CCTV cameras as well and so on - none of them can communicate while the DHCP server is out of the game.

So I'm trying to figure out how to build a system that's going to mitigate the issues in worst case scenarios. 

Cheers