Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C2960X-48LPS-L & WS-C2960X-24PS-L Vlan Configuration

Uhlig.Tim
Level 1
Level 1

Hey together,

I bought some WS-C2960X-48LPS-L & WS-C2960X-24PS-L running  15.2(2)E7.

I built a default configuration for each type of model.

Amongst other things, I configured vlan 101 to use it for mgt stuff via usual uplink. Of course I configured interface vlan 101 with an IP address, trunk ports and a default-gateway.

I configured new devices with the default config, while I was updating the variables like hostname, IP address and many more.

Management vlan (L2) config was in the default config as followed:

vlan 101

name xxx

Today I installed some of these switches and I was wondering that the configuration of L2 Vlan isn't working.

As I checked the config I saw, that interface vlan 101 was configured while vlan 101 wasn't configured.

So I configured vlan 101 again and it worked. As I checked the running-config again, I missed the vlan config again but as mentioned it was configured. 

Did anyone of you, faced the same issue and if yes, do you know whats wrong?

I already built such default configs for a huge list of models and I've never faced something like that.

Why the hack is the configuration ignoring the layer 2 vlan config?

Again, I expect "vlan 101", "name xxx" in the config, but it is not there.

It is also still not there if, I add it it again, manually.

If I do "show running config" on one of my Nexus 5548up for example, I see these expected vlan config statements, but not on these 2960x..

I have no explanation and I don't understand this behavior.

Hopefully you guys have an idea. :D

cheers Tim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Diana, you gave me the hint :D

Forgot to configure vtp mode transparent which was the reason why vlan config wasn't shown in the running config.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Diana Karolina Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Tim!

Can you see the vlan when you do a "show vlan"? how is your VTP configured?

Do not forget to rate useful post.

Best Regards,

Thanks Diana, you gave me the hint :D

Forgot to configure vtp mode transparent which was the reason why vlan config wasn't shown in the running config.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: