Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 ASA 5585 and two internet gateways

We have 2 ASA (Active/standby) and 2 Internet connections with 2 Routers; i need to split traffic going

Through the ASA, the E-Learning traffic going to ISP1 and all other traffic going through ISP2 ?

and still automatic failover occur. if the ISP1 down the E-Learning traffic will automatically go through ISP2 ?

is it possible to use 2 static routes. one for E-Learning traffic (subnet) and one for all other traffic ?

if any one have a solution for these issues?

4 Replies 4

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

ASA doesn't support policy based routing (based on source IP). In order to do this you would need to add another router or pair of routers outside of ASAs and configure PBR on those.

Thank you for your replay, but  the problem in outgoing traffic, which router will be the gateway for the ASA considering that Each router is connected to separate ISP and yes there PBR for routing, the problem not in routing side, the issue in the ASA side. and again i need to SPLIT the traffic in ASA's. so one subnet go through spicific ISP and all other traffic going to

Another ISP.

If this explination is not enough i can upload drawing for high level design  the network

Yes, and that's what I was saying earlier, ASA doesn't do policy based routing. You want one source IP to use one default route, and another source IP to use another default route. Not possible on ASA. You will need to add a router between your ASAs and your ISP routers. You will route all traffic to that router (or again, you could have a pair of routers for redundancy) and then do policy based routing on THAT router(s) to select which ISP to take for which source IP(s). You would also need to add one or two switches between your ASAs and routers.

Lee Valentin
Level 1
Level 1

Roman is correct. You cannot do PBR on ASA, you'll have to use static routing. Your question should go in the routing forum.

What you can do is create a static route for e-learning on your ASA to a new HSRP address between your two routers and use PBR on the router to determine the path from there.

The problem then could be return traffic. Will it take an optimal path on the way back. You may then have asymmetrical routing.

Again, this post is better suited in routing forum.

Good luck

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card