Views
Helpful
Replies

Access to Cisco Firewall software for practice

mestasew1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I am preparing for the CCNA security certification and bought used ASA 55xx. As a part of this effort I wanted to upgrade the ASA and use ASDM for configuration and administration. However I am getting service contract required message when I attempt to download the software.

are you all get this message ? 

is there any way I can get the software for practice purpose ? 

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Not for free, no.
This is because a lot of people have been mis-using the goodwill.

Dear Leo,

I do not think it is good idea to shut everything because there are people mis-using software released  for learning and training purposes. 

As to me there must be some way to give access to individuals learning and practice efforts...such as registering device and users. The values and culture of Cisco can be translated with such actions ...

I still hope to get a way to access the software from a community or Cisco advisors 

Sorry, there's no legitimate source for free ASA or ASDM software upgrades for your used appliance.

The CCNA security training blueprint doesn't require you to have an appliance or the latest ASA software.

If you just want to practice and become familiar with the command interface, there is the free ASAv that can be used. The free license limits throughput to 100 kbps but is otherwise fully functional.

Hi Marvin,

I appreciate your suggestion  on the ASAv for practice purpose. Two or three months back I have attempted to setup GNS3 with ASAv. By that time there was no free 100 kbps option. I will check it again even though there was some features limitations .

Because of this problem the ASAv unavailability, its limited feature and also when I review the security community page , everybody suggests owning ASA appliance for practicing. 

That why I end up purchasing ASA. 

would there be any Cisco official contact who review such request ? Every technology in the world allow to download the software and tools to manage hardware produced. this seems very strange to me.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card