Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

activate ASA 5506

HI,

I want to renew my asa license, i register the device from Product License Registration form and downloaded license file 

how i get the activation key from this lic file or how use this license to renew my ASA 

13 Replies 13

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the version of Code on ASA

in general  :

config t

!

activation-key <license>

!

write - may required reload

check activation :

# show activation-key

more information can be find here :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa96/configuration/general/asa-96-general-config/intro-license.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@balaji.bandi 

i dont have the activation key, when i create license 

i receive fie with extension LIC not the activation key how get my activation key 

"show version" and "show activation-key"  from ASA to advise correctly ?

BB

@balaji.bandi 

ASA 5506

ASA v 9.6 & ASDM v 7.6

ASA itself is same procedure as i have suggested. if you are referring as mentioned @Marvin Rhoads  SFR module we need to know

this can only possible, if you can provide full information

post full information by removing sensitive information :

show version

show modules

show module sfr detail

BB

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What license are you talking about? The base ASA doesn't require a license and (as @balaji.bandi noted, uses activation keys for licensedfeatures such as 3DES-AES, VPN etc.).

The Firepower service module uses .lic files. You add those in either ASDM (for locally managed) or Firepower Management center (for FMC-managed).

If you're asking about the Firepower service module, then please share the output of the following to show us which type of management yours is using:

show module sfr detail

@Marvin Rhoads 

i use ASDM to mange my ASA 5506

So if is the Firepower service module license key, that is a plain text file. Open the .lic file in a text editor (such as notepad or notepad++) and paste it into ASDM under Configuration > ASA Firepower Configuration > Licenses.

Reference:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/firepower-management-center/200376-Obtain-the-License-Key-for-a-Firepower-D.html#anc3

@Marvin Rhoads 

I dont found this tap in my ASA management see this photo

ASA.JPG 

If you click on the little arrow at the bottom of the left hand pane underneath Device Management, do you see any additional tab called ASA FirePOWER Configuration?, if so, click on that, and go to Licenses page and follow what @Marvin Rhoads suggested please.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As noted already, please share the output of:

show module sfr detail

@Marvin Rhoads 

# show module sfr details
Getting details from the Service Module, please wait...

Card Type: FirePOWER Services Software Module
Model: ASA5506
Hardware version: N/A
Serial Number: JAD2119034R
Firmware version: N/A
Software version: 5.4.1-211
MAC Address Range: a023.9fb9.d7cb to a023.9fb9.d7cb
App. name: ASA FirePOWER
App. Status: Up
App. Status Desc: Normal Operation
App. version: 5.4.1-211
Data Plane Status: Up
Console session: Ready
DC addr:
Mgmt IP addr: 192.168.4.254
Mgmt Network mask: 255.255.255.0
Mgmt Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Mgmt web ports: 443
Mgmt TLS enabled: true

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It appears you have an old ASA 5506 with an unconfigured Firepower service module.

You would need to reimage it to a current supported release (5.4.1 that you have is very old and not supported with current ASA releases) and then configure it with a basic IP address, gateway etc. Only then would it appear in ASDM and be able to take the license file that you have.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card