cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

All network connectivity breaks (DNS lookup fails) after VPN is started

mk2m
Level 1
Level 1

My XP system was working fine for several weeks now. My service provider dropped the DSL connection. I reconnected and used the internet fine. Then I start Cisco VPN 3000 (v3.6.3). It logs me in fine.

Afterwards I cannot connect to any internet sites. The browser says "looking up <your favorite Internet host here>".

I have tried:

- rebooting my machine

- rebooting the wireless hub

- rebooting the DSL router

- reinstalling VPN

- Reconnecting with every combination of properties on the "General" tab

- drinking beer

Unfortunately nothing seems to help this situation. Any ideas of what could be wrong? Thanks for your time.

-mike

4 Replies 4

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

split tunnel needs to be configured on the cvpn3000. it specifies what traffic traverse over the tunnel. at the moment all traffic generated from your pc traverse over the tunnel and the internet request will be dropped at cvpn3000.

rating_is_vital
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

According to the description, I believe that split tunnelling has not been configured. Contact the administrator for implementing this feature on the concentrator.

mk2m
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry if my first message was not clear. I cannot access *any* sites (either on the Internet or inside the corporation I am connecting to). This leads me to believe that it is not "split tunneling". I can connect to the Internet again after I close my VPN client.

I did a "route print" before and after connecting with VPN and they are identical (perhaps this is a symptom of the problem?).

Thanks for the responses.

Hi,

The output of "route print" from the PC is definitely a symptom. I believe you should try to connect the VPN by using another PC; also re-install the VPN software on the PC you are working on.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card