cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Allow ping to outside interface

rmessina
Level 1
Level 1

How do I allow my outside interface to be pingable from the outside? I've tried configuring an access to allow icmp on the outside interface with no success. I'm still seeing the deny inbound icmp type 8 code 0 messages in the syslog.  Thanks.

21 Replies 21

I'm assuming you're trying to ping the outside interface over VPN?

Try deactivating Antispoofing -

no ip verify reverse-path interface outside

Just tried that still no luck.  I'm trying to ping the outside interface IP address, not over the VPN tunnel.  I can ping all the way to the last hop before my outside interface IP, and I see the ICMP drops in the syslog so I know that the firewall is dropping the ping. 

Randy,

Are you trying to ping the outside interface from the vpnclient server ( the headend device ) ?  As far as I can think , there isn't any issue with ICMP allowed or inspect but since you are using this 5505 as an easy  vpnclient it is assuming the traffic from the headend should be recieved with IPsec encryption and not unencrypted.

can you please check the settings on the Headend device if thats the case ?

Manish

No, I'm trying to ping from a server out on the interwebs... well i've tried pinging it from many locations honestly.

Randy,

Can you please post out put of the following from this easy vpnclient asa ?

1> sh crypto isakmp sa

2> sh crypto ipsec sa

Then issue 10-20 pings to the asa :-

3> sh crypto ipsec sa

Please when you are changing the ip's before posting , do like 1.1.1.1 = 1.x.x.1 , so that It's easier to understand the policies pushed by the headend to the client.

Thanks

Manish

Have you verified connectivity?  Possibly an ARP problem on your upstream router.  Log into the router and do a...

Show ARP

and verify the output IP of the outside ASA matches the MAC address of the outside interface on the ASA.

icmp permit any outside

That should be all that is necessary to ping the firewall's outside interface from another host on the internet.  Another way of accomplishing this that I prefer is icmp inspects.

access-list ICMP ext permit icmp any any

!

class-map ICMP-CMAP

match access-list ICMP

!

policy-map global_policy

class ICMP-CMAP

inspect icmp

!

7 years late but my thinking is that on the VPN head end firewall he had it configured to tunnel all traffic back and not split it out, therefore any replies to pings on the Outside interface would try to go via the tunnel.

This was a VPNClient configuration on his ASA rather than site to site, so there was no interesting traffic ACL, it's all controlled on the head end firewall.

For anyone like me that bothered to read through the thread until the end at least it gives some closure.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card