cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5500X with FirePOWER Services Packet Tracer/Troubleshooting/Captur

servio.lara
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I´m working on an ASA 5545X with FirePOWER Services for the first time.

I´m trying to catching up on the troubleshooting approach about what activities you do at the ASA, Firepower module, and the FMC levels.

For example, I was used to do the Packet tracer in the FMC for Firepower or ASDM for ASA.

I understand that for the ASA with FirePOWER Services, you have to use the ASA (CLI/ASDM) for packet tracer and capture.

My question is:

Is there any tool available at the module or FMC. Where can I see the packet process through the Firepower Services?

Best regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @servio.lara,

On ASA w/ Firepower you can use combined approach. As you already realised, you'll have to go to ASA to do initial debugging, to understand if your FW is permitting traffic on L3/L4 level, by using packet capture or packet-tracer.

Once you see that your packet was forwarded to Firepower module, you have to continue troubleshooting on Firepower module, which is more-less same as on FTD. From there, you could use 'system support trace' command, to see what is happening for specific traffic.

BR,

Milos

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @servio.lara,

On ASA w/ Firepower you can use combined approach. As you already realised, you'll have to go to ASA to do initial debugging, to understand if your FW is permitting traffic on L3/L4 level, by using packet capture or packet-tracer.

Once you see that your packet was forwarded to Firepower module, you have to continue troubleshooting on Firepower module, which is more-less same as on FTD. From there, you could use 'system support trace' command, to see what is happening for specific traffic.

BR,

Milos

Hi Milos, 

Thanks for the reply. 

Best regards.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card