cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 configuration lost after reboot?

Pete Johnstone
Level 1
Level 1

So I went through the process of configuring this 5505, and the next day took it to the client site and booted it up.  First thing I noticed was BAM, enable config password was back to blank. 

Ok I thought, set it again and did a "write mem" and then had to unplug it to move it to a new area.

Booted up, and now ENTIRE configuration is gone....back to the "factory" config (it was a refurb so whatever the refurb guys put on it).

It's running ASA software version 8.4 (if that's helpful), so I have two questions I guess:

1. Is my config recoverable?  As I mentioned I made sure to save it, in fact since I am so new to configuring these devices from the IOS command line I make sure to save/"write mem" after each "chunk" of configuration I add.  Problem is I have no idea why it's gone, if it's gone permanently, etc.  If I lost it for good, it cost me several hours of work, which isn't the end of the world, but I still need to know why.
  2. What do I need to do to make this thing "remember" my configs?  Or is there something wrong with this device?  I think we can probably return it if need be (but I'll have to check to make sure).
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

could you post a show version output?

i suspect an issue with the config register.

you should fix it using the command:

config-register 0x1

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

could you post a show version output?

i suspect an issue with the config register.

you should fix it using the command:

config-register 0x1

Thanks!

From the show version I have this:

Configuration register is 0x41

I went ahead and changed it per your advice, and the enable password survived a reboot (yay!).  

Now, is there anyway to rescue my former config?  I'm assuming it is lost, but figured I'd check and save myself the time spent reconfiguring from scratch.

hi,

thanks for the rating and i'm glad it solved the confreg issue.

unfortunately when you set confreg to 0x41, it bypassed the startup config (saved on NVRAM).

you'll have to re-apply your config. hope you got a backup copy.

Unfortunately I don't, and the device was handed to me on 0x41 (the refurb guys apparently set it to that), wish I had known because the config took me hours of grief (my others are all 5506's and some of the config stuff is different in this 8.x version of the software which gave me massive headaches as I'm not a Cisco/IOS guy - well I guess I'm becoming one now out of necessity lol)..

Oh well, lesson learned and I won't be buying anything ever from the company that this was purchased from (client purchased without consulting me so it was too late).

hi,

you could use a show startup-config and see if your config is still there?

Tried that when I first noticed it missing, unfortunately it's gone.  But a good lesson here too, once I finish this time I'll save it to USB and put it somewhere safe just in case as this is a client, so I won't be in their office on a regular basis, and you never know what could happen...

This actually helped make my asa retain the configuration.

rspears1966
Level 1
Level 1

same. this actually helped make my asa-5506x retain the configuration as well, thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: