Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 Transparent Mode

network_guy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I just have 1 question. I am going to be getting UVerse installed at my house and have been having a hard time finding this in the documentation. The modem I am going to be getting is the 3800HGV-B. Over on the ATT forum users are stating that the modem needs every MAC of every potential IP. I thought about using it's DMZPlus mode but I am getting a block of 8 IP's and it doesn't seem to play nice unless it see's 5 different MAC's. Right now I have my 5505 in routed mode so I don't believe it passes the MAC of the client's through. Will the ASA pass the MAC of the client's through to the modem with the appropriate ACL's applied? Thanks for your help, I have looked at close to 200 pages tonight.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

varrao
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Joshua,

You can very well use the ASA in a transparent mode, the firewall would act as a L2 device and would  not proxy arp for the packets, which means the mac address of the host would be passed as is through the ASA.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Security Team,
Cisco TAC

Thanks,
Varun Rao

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

varrao
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Joshua,

You can very well use the ASA in a transparent mode, the firewall would act as a L2 device and would  not proxy arp for the packets, which means the mac address of the host would be passed as is through the ASA.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Security Team,
Cisco TAC

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Thanks Varun for your quick reply. I will be trying this tomorrow as that is my install date. Will get back with you if I have further questions. Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card