cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 with block of 8 static ip's

louis0001
Level 3
Level 3

My ISP (Zen) has given me a block of 8 ip's but i need to connect via PPPoE. The ASA 5505 only allows me to put the static in as a /32 instead of a /29.

Has anybody configured an ASA with a block of 8 ip's using PPPoE before?

regards,

louis

3 Replies 3

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

HI Louis,

That is the default behaviour of PPPoE. Even you configure that as /29 it will take it as /32 only. No worries....

Excerpt from Cisco Doc:

Subnet Mask Appears as /32

Problem

When you use the IP address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.240 pppoe setroute command, the IP address is assigned correctly, but the subnet mask appears as /32 although it is specified in the command as /28. Why does this happen?

Solution

This is the correct behavior. The the subnet mask is irrelevant in the case of the PPPoe interface; the ASA will always change it to /32.

Regards

Karthik

Hi Karthik,

is there anyway that I can use the extra ip's then or are they effectively useless?

regards,

Louis

Hi Louis,

That behavior is only for the IP address that you have assigned on the interface..... You can use the rest of your IP's for NAT/PAT usage purpose.

Regards

Karthik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card