cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 and Redundant interfaces

Phil Bradley
Level 4
Level 4

Hello. I would like to configure redundant interfaces on my ASA 5510 and have a few questions on how this works. I have a Untangle internet filter between my ASA and clients currently in a Vmware environment. If I vmotion the Untangle filter to another esxi server that is connected to a redundant ASA interface will this standby interface start accepting traffic or must the primary interface go down?. The primary interface will still be up on the esxi host that I vmotioned from, but no traffic will be passing.The other question I have is related to creating the redundant interface. In order to create the redundant physical interfaces I need to remove the name of the interface and by doing this it will remove any configurations related to this named interface. Is there any way to preserve this or will I just be recreating the ACL's, etc?

1 Reply 1

If I vmotion the Untangle filter to another esxi server that is connected to a redundant ASA interface will this standby interface start accepting traffic or must the primary interface go down?

The primary interface must fail for the redundant interface to take over.

The other question I have is related to creating the redundant interface. In order to create the redundant physical interfaces I need to remove the name of the interface and by doing this it will remove any configurations related to this named interface. Is there any way to preserve this or will I just be recreating the ACL's, etc?

Unfortunately there is no way around this, you will need to recreate the commands that reference that interface.

Make sure you have a backup of the commands...will make your job much easier when recreating them

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card