cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

asa 5510 port e0/3 not showing

sam saeed
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone experienced this I was enabling all the ports for testing on an asa 5510 and once I got to port e0/3 I got this error:

ciscoasa(config-if)# int e0/0

ciscoasa(config-if)# no shut

ciscoasa(config-if)# int e0/1

ciscoasa(config-if)# int e0/2

ciscoasa(config-if)# int e0/3

^

ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

I checked to see if the syntax was wrong and realized interface e0/3 isn't even shown:

ciscoasa# sh int ip bri

Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

Ethernet0/0                unassigned      YES unset  administratively down up

Ethernet0/1                unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down

Ethernet0/2                unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down

Management0/0              192.168.1.1     YES CONFIG down                  down

ciscoasa#

On the asa theres 4 ethernet ports 0 - 3 don't understand why port e0/3 is not listed.  When a cable is connected the led's for that port goes green.  Is the port just bad or is there a work around?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Maybe this is a License related thing

From Cisco documentation (bolded text)

Cisco ASA 5510 bundle - ASA5510-BUN-K9

Includes 3 Fast Ethernet interfaces, stateful firewall, 250 IPsec VPN peers, 2 SSL VPN peers, 3DES/AES license, and 1 expansion slot

Cisco ASA 5510 Security Plus bundle - ASA5510-SEC-BUN-K9

Includes 5 Fast Ethernet interfaces, stateful firewall, 250 IPsec VPN peers, 2 SSL VPN peers, Active/Standby high availability, 3DES/AES license, and 1 expansion slot

Source:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/prod_brochure0900aecd80402e36.html

- Jouni

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Maybe this is a License related thing

From Cisco documentation (bolded text)

Cisco ASA 5510 bundle - ASA5510-BUN-K9

Includes 3 Fast Ethernet interfaces, stateful firewall, 250 IPsec VPN peers, 2 SSL VPN peers, 3DES/AES license, and 1 expansion slot

Cisco ASA 5510 Security Plus bundle - ASA5510-SEC-BUN-K9

Includes 5 Fast Ethernet interfaces, stateful firewall, 250 IPsec VPN peers, 2 SSL VPN peers, Active/Standby high availability, 3DES/AES license, and 1 expansion slot

Source:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/prod_brochure0900aecd80402e36.html

- Jouni

That does make sense it has a base license so in order to use the port f0/3 it has to have a sec plus bundle?  If thats the case thats just silly to have ports that are basically duds until the license is upgraded.

Hi,

I do agree that it seems stupid to have interfaces that you cant use.

A bit similiar situation in my own case is that I have a ASA model that supports 10G interfaces but they are only enabled as 1G until you buy the license for the 10G I/O which again cost "a bit" of money.

- Jouni

Well thank you Jouni I was close to open a TAC case to return it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card