cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5512-X: Automatic Power-on after power failure?

Hello all,

how can I enable an automatic power-on after a power failure on an ASA 5512-X?

Best Regards,

Dietmar

9 Replies 9

julomban
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Dietmar,

Unfortunately there is no such command or feature on any ASA5500 series that can accomplish this.

You can only configure the ASA to be reload it at certain time, you can set a time for when the ASA is reload but not what you are looking for.

Regards,

Juan Lombana

Please rate helpful posts.

Hello Juan,

thanks for the reply.

So that means after a power failure  someone has to drive to the installation site and press the power button?

I'm speechless.

Regards,

Dietmar

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, has the typical 0/1 switch changed from the previous ASA models then?

It would seem very strange if the new ASA X-model would require someone to actually press the power button for the device to come back up.

Ah at the same I'm typing this I found this

Power button

A hard switch that turns the system on and off. Once depressed, the button stays in the "on" position:

On—The power symbol on the button illuminates.

Off—The power symbol on the button is dark.

For information about the power state, see the "Power Supply Considerations" section.

See the portion that states that the switch stays in on after pressed on. So I'd imagine its the same as in the old models. Don't see a reason why it would be changed

Link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/5500xguide/asa_overview.html#wp1061571

- Jouni

Hi,

the X-Model has a new power button similar to a normal PC power button.

I just found out that there is a delay of roughly one minute before the ASA switches back on. I just have never waited that long before.

Regards,

Dietmar

Jouni,

I am sorry you are right. The ASA will power on automatically after a failure. This for all ASA5500 and ASA5500 X series models.

I am sorry for the confusion.

Regards,

Juan Lombana

Please rate helpful posts.

Hi,

it is not quite this way.

My failover unit (ASA 5525-X), was down for over a week!

When i managed to go at site, it just needed a power button push!!

Can this thing been explained by someone?

Is there a way to halt the unit so it never reloads unless power is pressed?

Please advise,

BR

Antonis

There is an issue with ASA 5512 being tracked via CSCug19145

If you remove power from the ASA5512 for a short period such as 30 minutes, it will power up automatically when you restore the power. However, if you interrupt power supply for a longer time, such as 24 hours, it will not power up automatically.

Please open up a TAC case to have the issue investigated further.

Any update from Cisco on when this will be fixed?

Updated Link to Bug Report:

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCug19145

Phillip,

This issue only occurs on the 5500-X devices (5512, 5515, 5525, 5545, 5555) and only on some of them.

The  first time that the device is booted you need to push the button to get  the ASA OS to load.  Once the device has been booted the OS the current  state should get saved so that subsequent power cycles will take you  back to that state (ASA OS automatically loads).  We have found that on  some units, the state does not get saved and a push of the power button  is required.  Since most ASAs remain in service after they have been  powered up, this issue has not been an issue for the majority of our  customers.

In July of 2013 a change was introduced in  Manufacturing to ensure that devices manufactured after that point in  time would always boot the OS.  If you or your customer require your ASA  to be down for long periods of time and feel that you can't live with  the possibility that you may need to push the power button, then I would  advise that you contact the TAC and arrange for an RMA for a unit  without the issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: